After the last game we all sat down at tables to make our ornaments. It was a tradition at each Christmas party to make a new ornament each year. My aunt decided to have us make elf ornaments with our own pictures. They are so cute! Wes had to keep Violet entertained so I made my ornament and Violet's. Lydia and Adelle worked on their own and I helped them out. I still need to make Wes' ornament. I'll have to do it before next Christmas for sure.

Saturday, January 21, 2012
Long Lost Family Fun
When I was a kid we would always get together around Christmas with my mom's family. We would be surrounded by oodles of aunts, uncles, cousins, and of course my wonderful dutch grandma. Over these past 10 years we lost my Grandma, my Mom, an aunt and an uncle. The family parties disappeared, but we decided this year to change that. My wonderful aunt Anna organized a wonderful party! We brought soups, salads, sides, and desserts, including a wonderful dutch dessert that I had several helpings off. My aunt also organized games and crafts.
It was great to see so many of my relatives again. I think Lydia was a little nervous.


It is amazing how much everyone has grown up!


Violet enjoyed all the different food.
After eating we all sat down for a white elephant game. One of my cousin's presents went awry before we even began. He and his wife thought it would be fun to surprise some unknowing soul with a real mouse. It started chewing itself out of it's present and had to be whisked away to their car. My girls would have LOVED a mouse but there was NO WAY that was coming to our house.
Everyone really got into the game. Poor Adelle got a remote control caddy that she wasn't so thrilled about. I ended up opening a Battleship game that I gave to her. Lydia got one of the hottest items of the game, a Grinch Hat. She wears it to school even. We also picked up an Ants in the Pants Game for when Violet is older.

After the white elephant game, we all gathered around for a wonderfully, fun game. There is a present wrapped up in several layers of wrapping paper. A dice is passed around and each person rolls. If you get a 6 you put on gloves and a Santa hat and you try your very best to unwrap the present layer by layer. When somebody else gets a 6 you get pushed out of the way and it is that person's turn to unwrap. It was the funniest thing ever! Everyone really got into it, especially my uncle Dave.
In the end my cousin's daughter ended up winning. It was a cocoa set. I was very surprised that will all the roughness the mugs were still in good shape.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
My extended family luckily still gets together on Christmas. Glad your family decided to do it again, I think it's important.
What a great event! The ornaments are adorable. I'm glad you had such a good time. ...j
Post a Comment