Saturday, June 19, 2010

Day 4 - Disney's California Adventue and Ellen's Last Day

We woke up Tuesday morning and first headed to Disneyland where we went and rode the Buzz Lightyear ride. Adelle and I rode together and had a super fun time. You have laser guns and get to shoot targets on the ride. I got a super high score. We did the switch pass since Violet was asleep and Wes and Lydia got to go.

We then headed to Disney's California Adventure Park.
We ran into the Toy Story Army guys a couple of times in the day. They kept getting in our way :) We got fast passes for Soarin' Over California, Ellen's favorite ride, and then we headed over to Bug Land.

It is a fun little place where you feel like you are a little bug! You also can find many of the characters from Bug's Life.


We decided to go see the 3D show "It's Tough to Be a Bug". Right as we were about to go in though Violet's poopy diaper leaked everywhere!! It was good we had extra clothes, baggies, and lots of diapers and wipes. We changed her right in the middle of bug's land and got a few strange looks, but we finally got her all cleaned up and ready to go.
We got to wear more fun glasses! We had forgotten a lot about the show. I thought "hey this is a dark place to feed Violet". I had forgotten how involving the show is. Right at that moment Violet and I got sprayed by water and she started crying. Then giant spiders came down from the ceiling and Adelle started freaking out and hiding behind Wes, then Violet began to cry even more. Even Lydia was scared. It ended up being quite funny in the end. Everyone made it out safe and sound.





Adelle really wanted to right Heimlich's Chew Chew train. She had remembered it from when she was 3 years old. She wanted to get dripped on again by the giant watermelon.




I finally took a break since Violet was hungry and the girls ventured over the bumper cars on their own. Adelle was disappointed that Lydia had to drive. She had quite the sad face.


I think she warmed up as the ride went on though.

We caught a few more small rides in Bug's Land including this spinning lady bug ride. Violet was allowed to go on the ride, but wasn't allowed to ride on my lap which was odd. I had to balance her on the seat while we quickly spun around. It was very interesting to say the least.
Lydia and Adelle wanted to spin the car like the teacups, but found out it spins without any help.






We next went on Flik's Flyers where you sit in "food boxes" and fly up into the sky. We all crammed into one car and enjoyed the flight.











From there we headed back over by Soarin' Over California and ate our lunch. Ellen bought lunch and had to wait in a long line, so Wes, Adelle, Lydia and I enjoyed riding Soarin' all together while Ellen ate and watched our sleeping Violet. Ellen, Wes and Adelle then rode Soarin' over California. I love that ride :) It is so amazing to feel like you are paragliding over the California sites. You can even smell the beach and orange groves.
We caught goofy right after the ride. He is such a fun character.


He signed Adelle's autograph book on Adelle's head!



It was time for Violet's lunch so Wes, Ellen, Lydia and Adelle rode the Ariel's Merry Go Round.







After the Merry Go Round Wes, Ellen, Lydia and Adelle went on Grizzly River Rapids. I wasn't able to go since we had only gotten a couple of fast passes for the ride and I let everyone else have a turn. I was hoping to get to ride it before the trip was up, since I haven't done it before, but it didn't work out. Violet and I had fun visiting with strangers though. We really enjoyed meeting new people.
Ellen, Lydia and I then had a chance to go on California Screamin', a super fast roller coaster that takes you upside at times. Adelle and Wes weren't interested to go on it at all. Ellen, Lydia and I had fun though. Lydia screamed super loud the whole time!
We then headed over to the giant Mickey Ferris Wheel. We decided to wait for a car that swings back and forth. During our wait Adelle decided to make a wish and throw her penny into the water. I often caught her doing this during the trip, so I guess it is good she found so much loose change on the ground :)








I think Wes regretted his choice to get a swinging car. It really swung us around and he is afraid of heights. I was able to get some great video of us on the ride. It was chilly too way up in the air.
After the Ferris Wheel we caught a bite to eat, literally. We didn't end up choosing the best place that night. The portions were very small. At least we had snacks left over from lunch so we munched on those. We did end up with a great seat for the Pixar parade which the girls really enjoyed. I found it funny that we caught both parades without planning to. What luck!

Wes and Ellen never fully dried from Grizzly River Rapids, so they headed back to the hotel to change clothes. While they were gone the girls and I headed over to the Animation Studios. I feed Violet while the girls looked around. The great think about the location was the couches and the GIANT screen which displayed drawings and clips from various movies, set to music. I did get a little teary when I heard the song "When you wish upon a star". It made me think of my dad and I missed him.
The girls I decided to go to the Animation Academy class.


We had the opportunity to go inside an auditorium and to get instruction from an animator on how to draw Chip. I really enjoyed it.


It was fun to see the girls trying their very best to draw.
I saved their sketches and scanned them so we will always remember!



Adelle wasn't happy with her drawing. She was sad and felt like she was a horrible artist. We all reassured her that she is great and that everything takes practice.


Since we had met up with Wes and Ellen again we decided to ride Monster's Inc together. Violet loved looking around at everything and was really interested. An animatronic Ross was at the end of the ride. She can see everyone that is coming through and she said that she was going to keep our little monster (Violet). I let her know that she would be staying with us.

Since it was Ellen's last night she decided to treat all of us to ice cream! So yummy! We all had fun listening to the California music and eating our sweet treats.


Violet danced along to the music.

It was so great to have Grandma Ellen with us, and we were sad she was going to leave.


As the park closed we headed back to our hotel to snuggle down for the night.

No comments: