Friday, October 22, 2010

Missing Teeth and the Tardy Fairy

Adelle has quite the smile when I ask her to grin for the camera. She shows ALL her teeth, or the lack thereof. A couple of weeks back while she was at school her other front tooth popped right out onto the classroom carpet at school. Adelle rushed over to the sink and all of the kids got excited and followed her. Now most teachers would probably get upset, but not Adelle's. She congratulated her on her most recent tooth lose and the kids all joined in. Her tooth came back in this special envelope. Adelle wrote on it "P.S. I lost this tooth at school". She then drew an arrow to the lumpy spot in the envelope and wrote "My tooth".
The tooth fairy came that night and delivered two whole dollars.
Lydia lost a tooth not long after Adelle. She has began loosing more of her baby teeth again. Thank heavens she pulls them out herself. I'm not sure I could pull out my children's teeth. I feel a little bad for the girl because for some odd reason I didn't take her picture. She lost her right canine tooth. I just asked her why she wasn't pictured. She just said she didn't want her picture taken. Phew....I'm not a bad mom. I knew there was a reason. It is that 11 year old "take my picture?" attitude. She isn't a fan of it.
Now, the tooth fairy was a bit tardy with her. Perhaps it is because deep down inside she doesn't really believe in the tooth fairy anymore. We had a discussion a couple of years ago not long after St. Patrick's Day. The leprechauns, Santa Claus, Easter bunny, Tooth Fairy and everything else was brought up and the sad truth came out. She honestly wanted to know and didn't want any lies. She said she'd had an inkling for awhile. We still believe in all of those things in our house though because it is fun to believe even if you know some of the secrets.
Anyway, the tooth fairy didn't make it the first night or the second night, but after the girls were up I "discovered" money on the stairs and asked to my dismay if someone had dropped it. When I was assured that no they hadn't, I remarked that the tooth fairy must have dropped it on the way the Lydia. It must have been that mischievous cat.
I'm glad my children love me so much!

2 comments:

Mahatma said...

What lucky girls to have the tooth fairy remember them! ...j

Liz said...

The tooth fairy always arrives a couple of days late at our house... She never has cash on hand.

Loved the pictures of Violet! What a cutie.