Friday, July 1, 2011

Fresh Flowers on Memorial Day

This year on Memorial Day I really wanted to go out and visit graves. It was a cold, rainy day, but Wes, Violet and I decided to brave the weather. Sometimes there is something deep inside me that pulls me to do certain things. It is hard to explain. I cut the last remaining tulips from my garden and some purple sage flowers. I visited my mother's and my grandmother's grave first. I can always count on my uncle Dave getting there before me. He always is out with flowers. These graves are right under a tree and I love the pretty marble. The teddy bear on my mother's grave makes me think of the very large bear collection she was accumulating. The tulips I left made me think of my mother and grandmother's dutch heritage.



Violet enjoyed walking around and looking at all the flowers. She got quite excited every time she would see a balloon. She is talking more and more every day.



We visited the grave of Wes' grandfather. It is the newest grave and I was glad to see that he already has a headstone. It is set in a special spot in the graveyard for Veterans.




I left one pink tulip on my grandfather's grave. My grandfather's funeral was the first one I ever attended. I was only five. I remember that he would always give the grandchildren dollar bills. They always smelled grandfatherly.





We then headed to another cemetery. My step sister Jen had many flowers, so I just tucked my small flowers in her vase. I love the lipstick kiss on her headstone.



Last I visited my dad. I made sure to post a flag and put flowers in his vase. I tried to clean off his beautiful headstone as much as I could. I always bring water and a roll of paper towels. Some days I miss him so much, but I know he is looking out for me. In fact, the other day I was watching a video of my father when Violet came up and said "Grandpa". I think only once before I mentioned who he was, so it is possible she remembered, but part of me wonders if perhaps she knows him somehow. She only saw him once when she was just a day old.


The cemetery is not for everyone, and honestly I think the dead want us to live our lives instead of mourning over them, but sometimes it is nice to talk a moment to be there.

1 comment:

Mahatma said...

What a sweet post. I didn't make it up to the cemetary on Labor Day this year, I went later in the week. I'm so grateful you went and lovingly cleaned his grave. Thank you my dear! ...j