Sunday, September 16, 2012

Got Chicks?

 Something CRAZY happened the week of Adelle's birthday.  The community classes magazine came in the mail one day.  I love flipping through the catalogue and imagining taking a unique class.  Something so out of the ordinary and fun.  I came across a chicken raising class and mentioned it to Wes in passing.  I didn't actually believe I'd get chickens, because he is not an animal person.  We have been outlawed from getting any other pets except our cat. 

He was supportive of the chicken idea and he started getting excited. Not for chickens mind you, but for a construction project because they would need some place to live. I decided instead of talking a class all the way in Tooele that I would get my hand on every book the library had on chickens. I spent all of my Friday afternoon reading all about chickens and how to raise them for eggs!  I had quaint visions of going out every morning, greeting my chickens and gathering eggs, while my feathered pets cooed around my ankles.  I probably was in rubber boots and wearing an apron in this vision, but I'm not telling.


 We even helped Wes clean out the garage.  It was already a project he had going, but we all pitched in to move things along.  Our little chicks would have to live somewhere warm until the weather warmed.  I read that it is best to start with chicks so you can raise them to be loving and friendly to people.  Once the garage was clean Lydia, Adelle and I packed ourselves into the car and we drove to the local farm store.  It was chick season thank heavens so there were a lot of choices. 

Choosing a breed was somewhat difficult.  We wanted chickens that would be friendly, cold hardy, and good egg producers.  We settled on two buff orpingtons and two easter eggers.  They were so small, just little fluff balls really.  We carefully brought them home to their Tupperware tote that was already set with their wood chips, heat lamp, food and water. 

Thus began the process of keeping the chicks healthy and happy.  Chicks are a lot of work.  They can't get too cold or too hot, and if you want friendly chickens you need to hold them once a day.  The girls were a help, but I was usually the one hopping out day and night to check that their temps were okay. 

Wes suggested we not name them since there was no guarantee that they were all girls.  Any boys would have to be given away because not only did I not want a rooster they are forbidden in our neighborhood.  It didn't stop the girls and I from choosing our own chicks and loving them as best we could. 









Chicks grow super fast and it wasn't long before their feathers began coming in.  We had a lot to learn ahead of us, and Wes a lot of building!

No comments: