I was working one day when an email came into my inbox. My work was giving away free entries to a local 5K. My coworker Lisa urged me to sign up for it with her. I was already trying to get into better shape, but I wasn't sure if I could really prepare myself for a 5k in just a few months time. At the time I was just working out on my stationary exercise bike. With much anxiety I agreed. I began training with a great MP3 5K training. I absolutely loved it! There was something absolutely amazing to heading out early in the morning and running. It made me feel alive! I enjoyed it so much I urged Wes for Mother's Day to get me some expensive running shoes! I was in love.
I was so passionate about running that I decided to try and win and entry into the St. George Marathon. For the entry I wrote this:
At age 30 I became an orphan, or that is what my children called me. I lost both of my parents within 7 years of each other. I lost my mother in 2003 when she lost her battle with depression and took her own life. My mother in her peak days was an amazing runner and ran the St. George Marathon several times. I remember her coming over the finish line after her long grueling race and I was so proud of her. Her medals are so precious to me as is the running t-shirt quilt on my bed. She is one of the reasons I run. When I am running in the morning as the sun is rising and the birds are singing I somehow feel closer to her. I feel her watching over me.
My father died in 2010 from a heart attack at the young age of 59. His father died at age 54 from a heart attack as well. It was such a crushing blow to have my dear father gone. He was such an inspirational man to me. He loved to play music and help others. He always had a love for planes and trains and even for a time had his private pilot license. As I’m running and the little planes are flying overhead my heart swells as I imagine him flying in one looking down on me. As I race I feel my heart beating strong and I hope it will continue to for many years to come.
I run to be healthy, to beat the odds, so my own children will not become parentless too soon. I run to honor my parents. I run so that I will someday be able to see all of my children grow and to become parents themselves. I want to be a grandmother and hold little hands. I want to grow old and see the world change. I want to be strong!
The day of the race came and I was so nervous and excited! I had to be in Lehi pretty early so I left my family snug in their beds. Lisa and I met at the race. It was so good to have someone that I knew there. In honor of my parents I wore a red ribbon for my dad (heart disease) and yellow for my mom (suicide prevention). I had loaded up my MP3 player with music that was inspiring uniquely to me, including a song that my father had written for me when I was a child. I gave it my all on my little run and I was so proud of my time when I was done. I finished in 30 minutes and 23 seconds, which ended up being just a little less than a 10 minute mile.
Finishing a 5K inspired me to reach even higher. I wanted to run a 10K! The Saturday before Memorial Day I set out on a training run. I decided to go on the canal road despite the gravel. It was a peaceful little trail complete with little duck families. To my great astonishment I ended up running 5 miles. I noticed later in the day though something odd. As I came up the stairs my right ankle was clicking. It was a little unnerving, but I ignored it. Memorial Day morning I set out again on the canal road. Right away I had a fair amount of pain in my ankles. I kept going thinking that as I warmed up I would feel better. It didn't though. I paused to tighten my laces thinking that might help, but to no avail. I set off back home discouraged.
A week went by and my ankles were still bothering me, especially my right one. I made an appointment with a doctor and found out that I had peroneal tendonitis. I needed orthotics and physical therapy. Weeks and months went by. I wore the orthotics and went to physical therapy. The pain lessened, but my ankle still clicked and I couldn't run.
Every race that would come to my attention really tugged at me at first. I was devastated and discouraged. I wished my silly human body would cooperate. As time went by the longing lessened some and instead I tried to focus on other things.
To this day my ankle still clicks, but the pain is gone most of the time. I am still nervous to go out an run again for fear that I will be hurt again. I have tried in little spurts, but always back back down when I feel discomfort. Maybe some day I will be back there again, hitting the pavement. I was in such great shape and felt so good. Only time will tell.
2 comments:
I'm so sorry to hear you haven't been able to get back to running! It used to be my therapy, I hope I can make it my therapy once again, as counseling is so expensive and time consuming!!! I'm just getting ready to go out on a run and thought I would check on the blog world that I have been neglecting since going back to work!
Have you read the book Running with Angels? Is the race that you did apart of that??
You are still in great shape. Perhaps a brisk morning walk will bring you some of the same spiritual connections you felt on your runs. ...j
Post a Comment