A week or so ago I was job searching online for Wes. We are always keeping our eyes open because running your own business is VERY STRESSFUL and isn't always profitable. Anyway, I thought I would check out my work to see if they had anything. I suddenly had a thought for me. Years ago I actually sought employment with my work because they offer free nursing school, but I didn't end up pursuing it because we sent Wes to school first. I wanted to see if they still offered it and sure enough they do. I called SLCC (who the program is through) to set up an appointment with an advisor for the following week.
The week that followed was pretty hectic and stressful mainly because of things that need to be resolved for extended family members. I thought there was just no way I would be able to go back to school. I still went to the appointment yesterday with the advisor. Violet came with me and was content at first in her baby sling. Right before the appointment began she began to fuss. The advisor was very kind and didn't seem to mind me standing in front of his desk while I tried to bounce my little baby to help her calm down, which didn't work. I was able to get the information that I needed though to know how to move forward.
Now, you would think that I wouldn't want to pursue school right now with a newborn, family responsibilities (immediate and extended) and working full time. It has been very interesting though. I have felt very inspired that I should go back to school. Things have come to my mind which have helped me find ways to go back to school easier. I had forgotten all about the partial tuition reimbursement that my work offers, which I would need for my prerequisites courses. I suddenly remembered it while driving home after my appointment yesterday. Also, I think I will be able to reduce some of my hours at work. I have felt the spirit strongly as I have pursued school and as I have prayed I have had a strong, comforting feeling that it is the right thing for me and my family.
I have gone ahead a registered with Salt Lake Community College and I am hoping to register for my first class in the next couple of months. I have also requested official transcripts to be sent to SLCC. I want to hopefully take 1 to 2 classes per semester. I want my first class to be online if possible since Violet is still so young. I am super excited to start and am glad that half of my prerequisites are already done since I did some college when I was younger. Hopefully it won't take too long to get the prerequisites done and apply to the program. From there I will have a heavy load of schooling and they do require you to still be employed and work 24 hours a week for my company, but I have a feeling that everything will work out.
I have wanted to do this for such a long time and can't believe that I am starting on the road to become a nurse!
7 comments:
Congrats! You would make an awesome Nurse. Going back to school is a big step, and you will be glad that you took it. way to go
That's so awesome! Good luck! I hope I can get the opportunity to go to college someday.
Congratulations on going back to school! That is very exciting. I know you will do well. And you will be a great nurse.
you are so awesome Liz!! Good for you and way to follow the spirit. You will always be blessed for doing that. I could never be a nurse, my mom and Lisa are so good at it though. It's such a good field to go into. Good luck
What a wonderful direction for you Liz. I am so gratified that you have this goal and I know you will achieve it. You will be a great nurse as you are very caring and nurturing. Hugs!
Wow! You won't regret it! I've been at it for 10 years and going strong! it can be done! It's a nice flexible job to have with a family! You can do it!
That last comment was really from me, Lisa, not my dad Ray! Ha!
Post a Comment