Saturday, March 20, 2010

What do you do?

So with my dad passing, and with my only grandmother disowning me this past week I have had some really hard moments. Yes, my grandmother, my father's mom, has disowned me. It is a long story and it probably doesn't belong on my blog. Anyway, sadness at times will completely envelop me and make me feel so heavy. I had a wonderful blessing last Sunday from someone I really care about in my ward. I approached him right after Stake Conference and asked if he could give me a blessing. He was so wonderful to make time for me in his busy schedule. It was one of the best blessings I have ever received. That really helped me. Thinking about the blessing is helping me as well. Perhaps that is what I need to do is just cling on to those words and try to let those words envelop and buoy me up.

What do you do when you are sad? What helps you pull through? I really don't like feeling this way and I know my family worries about me when I am depressed. I am naturally a positive person. I have been through so much in my life and I know I am strong enough to make it through. In the blessing it was stated that Heavenly Father won't give me more than I can handle. I guess I should be able to handle this. I just don't want to feel so sad while I'm going through all of this. I don't know if I should be so open about this because I don't want others worrying about me so perhaps this blog post won't stay on here long. I also know there are a lot of people who care about me and can give good advice.

9 comments:

Candace said...

I think you should leave it....it's honest. Most of us have been to the brink of what we can no longer handle at one time or another, and it's good to have the support when you're there. You can get through this! I am so sorry you're going through soooo much right now. Blessings are good for that.... giving you words to cling to when your mind is so full of overwhelming events that you don't know how you're going to get through it. You are strong, and such a light to others. xoxoxox
You are truly one of those people who has made my life richer for all of the years I've been blessed to know you!

Ginny Clark said...

I say leave the blog up. I have always admired your honesty. Hard times are tough, and yes blessings help so much. I truely believe that God will not give you more than you can handle. Pray for his help to get you through this challenge. He never said he wouldnt be there to help you through what he gave you. :)
Hang in there Liz. You have lots of support and friends.

Kandis said...

Liz, I am so sad for you that you are going through this trial. It reminds me of the song The Test...we sometimes need to be reminded "didn't he say he sent us to be test? Didn't he say the way would not be sure? Didn't he say we could live with him for ever more well and whole, if we but patiently endure? After the trial we will be blessed for this life is a test."
These test suck I know. And I can't imagine what you are going through. I only know that when I look at you I see someone so incredibly strong! You are seriously (no lie) one of the most incredible women I know. When I need an example I look at the strength you have, and it helps me. I know that you can get through this.

You have got me thinking though 'what do I do to get me out of a slump/depression/sad moment(s)'?
Well first I go shopping...HA! I would say just kidding...but I really do go shopping. But the BIGGEST thing that gets me out is that I surround myself with girlfriends. Women who are strengths to me, women who I can trust and count on. Women who will help carry my burdens, women who will lift me up...women who will cry with me then make me laugh and keep me laughing.

If you need anything I am just up four about six streets!
Love ya...you're in my prayers!!

Anonymous said...

I've had many sad times in my life. The first and best thing to do you've already done. Praying and getting blessings has really helped me. I will add meditating to this as well. Pondering things in your mind then clearing your mind of all those thoughts can really help, especially in stressful times. I like doing it before or after praying. You definitely don't want to bottle up your thoughts so talk about them or think about them as much as necessary. The important thing is that you let them go later on.

Another very therapeutic thing to do is to write everything out in detail, uncensored. Write your deepest thoughts even if they don't make sense at all. Then just rip it up and let it go. I don't like keeping negative thoughts like that around in writing to refuel any hurts later on. But it feels great to get it out of your system.

A third thing to do is focus on a hobby. Anything you like doing. Sometimes you just need some fun and laughter in your life. Exercising is a good one. (But pretty difficult to fit in).

And lastly serve someone else who has it worse. I know how hard it is with a baby but you could do something as simple as making a hygiene kit or blanket for the earthquake victims.

Anonymous said...

Liz, it was so great to catch up briefly with you yesterday. Your strength amazes me and I hope to come out like you have!

You are so headed in the right direction with all of this and I know you will have peace in your heart when the dust settles. You have an amazing family and 2 special angels in your parents who watch out for you.

Girls night should be figured out ... for sure! =)

Star said...

"The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something. That's the only thing that never fails. You may grow old and trembling in your anatomies, you may lie awake at night listening to the disorder of your veins, you may miss your only love, you may see the world about you devastated by evil lunatics, or know your honour trampled in the sewers of baser minds. There is only one thing for it then — to learn. Learn why the world wags and what wags it. That is the only thing which the mind can never exhaust, never alienate, never be tortured by, never fear or distrust, and never dream of regretting. Learning is the only thing for you. Look what a lot of things there are to learn."
— T.H. White (Merlin from The Once and Future King)

The Barnum Family said...

I'm so sorry for what you're going through Liz. When I think about the hardest times in my life, the only thing that really comforted me and helped me get through was prayer. A whole lot of sincere prayer. With time, the burdens will get lighter.

Mahatma said...

You have many people that love you sweetie and have given you good advice. I love what Annalyn had to say. I hope you know that there are those among you that pray for you as well. I believe your dad is a guardian angel of sort and things will work out with Grandma. I love you! ...j

Escapedmom said...

Liz, I just want to make sure you know how much of a difference you have made since you joined our family. You are such a terrific person and have such a strong testimony, and you are raising your girls to be awesome young ladies. Please know how much I love you, and you can always call - even if all you need is just to talk.