Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Holy Cupcakes!

With Violet's Birthday quickly approaching I decided I wanted to do something really special for her first birthday. My step-mom gave me a wonderful book a couple of years ago called "Hello, Cupcake". I've never been brave enough to make anything out of the book yet, but I thought I should try it. Lydia and I did a test run the Wednesday before her birthday. The first cupcakes were dry and the frosting was too soft and it made it difficult to decorate.

I used another cupcake recipe in the book and bought some Wilton decorating frosting. Saturday morning I baked the cupcakes and then began the long process of making Oreo sunflowers and M&M ladybugs. With each flower I got more and more used to the technique and got better.


It ended up taking 3 long hours, but I was super happy with the end result. I put them in the fridge to await Violet's birthday party the next day. Perhaps I will have to experiment again someday. I know Lydia and Adelle may ask for their own special cupcakes on their birthdays.

4 comments:

Mahatma said...

They were darling and Phil said his was really delicious. It was a fun party. ...j

The Hammonds said...

Wow great job! They look amazing!

Anonymous said...

These are DARLING!!!! Love them! (Ladybugs hold a super special place in my heart...maybe I can borrow this idea?!)

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone! Jen you should absolutely borrow the idea :) You can find the instructions in a book called "Hello Cupcake".