Thursday, June 16, 2011

Show and Teach

Adelle's class doesn't have Show and Tell they have Show and Teach. Each child only gets to do it once during the year. Instead of just bringing some random item and showing it off each child needs to bring something to teach the class about.

Adelle had been anticipating her turn all year. Her teacher informed me that she kept asking when she would finally get to present. She also confessed that she has a special place for my affectionate girl. She said that she loves whenever they are walking in the hall how Adelle will just slip her little hand into hers. I am glad it is something she likes. At times even in our house we have to use the phrase "personal space". She really is such a sweetheart!

Adelle thought long and hard about what she wanted to present and she finally settled on Topaz. There is a long tradition in Wes' family or gem hunting, especially at Topaz Mountain. We took the girls a few years back and Adelle still has her own precious stash of gems. She brought them to the class and set them down under a camera that projects onto a screen. She even had a microphone that she could wear around her neck. I am amazed at the technology that her class has. She was so excited that Wes, Violet and I attended. She researched on Wikipedia and rattled off all of the different colors that Topaz can be. She spoke about where we find the Topaz and how to sift in the dry river beds to find them.



She passed a few of the topaz around the class for the children to see and touch. Then it was question and answer time. One child even asked where Topaz ranks on the Moh scale (hardness rating scale). Adelle didn't know how to answer that one, but her daddy told her the answer afterwards (a seven) and she passed the information onto the inquisitive little boy. I am so proud of my little girl and I'm so glad she has had the opportunity to attend this special class!

1 comment:

Mahatma said...

I'm proud of her too. Bright girl. She is a gem! ...j