Sunday, July 15, 2012

Worn Out and Blankies

Violet usually naps pretty well, but one day she just wouldn't sleep.  She got pretty cranky as the day wore on.  Before I knew it she was crashed on her comfy pink chair with her blanket and her Sunshine bear.  Poor thing.  Her blankie is her absolute crutch.  She hasn't been able to sleep without it for years.  It goes straight in her mouth and she will suck on it.  It is present for nap times, bedtime, when she is particularly sad, or just because.  Thankfully she hasn't needed it out of the house, but I'm sure she would if we were to stay somewhere overnight.  The blanket has held up pretty well.  It used to be a beautiful pink color on the opposite side of the polka dots, but is has become an ugly grey.  I have tried giving her other blankets, but she won't try anything else.  The worst part is how stinky it gets.  I wash it as best I can to get out the aroma of spit and sogginess.  Baking soda the other day seemed to help.  I have never had a child that latched on to something quite the way she has with her blankie, but emotion just oozes out of my last little one. 

2 comments:

Ginny Clark said...

so cute. my Jason had (still has) a blanket (bankey) that he latched onto. even as he got a little older (until about 10) that blanket went everywhere for any over nights. he would hide it in his pillowcase at friend sleepovers so that at night he could tuck his hand into the pillowcase and rub it in his fingers. He's 16 now and it is folded on the shelf in his closet and looks like an old rag now. He wont let me get rid of it or even take it from his room. Its still referred to as Bankey and holds a special place in his life. sooo cute

Mahatma said...

Super sweet picture! ...j