Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Grand Planter Box

Today was an EXHAUSTING day! Remember my first gardening post a few weeks back? Remember how I bought those raspberry and blackberry bushes and a grape vine? Well, we finally pulled our resources today to make a planter box for our plants. Inspired by the Pioneer Women and her post about making planter boxes we set off on our grand adventure. Here is her post on how to make your very own planter bed.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/homeandgarden/2009/02/build-your-own-raised-flowervegetable-bed/



We decided instead of buying bags of dirt to buy dirt from Aposhian Gardens. It was $49.99 instead of $72 dollars for the amount of dirt we needed. We of course do not have a truck so we asked to borrow Wes' parents van and trailer. First we headed out to Lowe's to buy our lumber and other miscellaneous items including a bird feeder and seed which the girls are so excited about. Anyway, the lumber cost about $54 dollars. We loaded everything up including a brand new (but cheap) wheelbarrow. We went over to Aposhians and got our dirt. They loaded it for us which was wonderful. I even bought a few veggie plants because they were only $1 a plant! Wow!



We started driving home and were alarmed to feel the van lurching and to hear scary noises. Lo and behold the trailer had a flat tire! Just our luck. We were about a mile or so from Wes' parents so we walked over to their home. We spoke to Wes' dad who gave us a spare and a jack. We headed home for lunch (cold, leftover pizza since we were in a hurry) and then drove back to the van to fix the trailer. At this point we had about $200 worth of merchandise including our dirt and we weren't going to just abandon it! Wes started to remove the wheel when suddenly to his dismay he realized that his father has given him a four lug nut tire, when in fact the trailer already has, and requires, a five lug nut tire. One of our neighbors stopped by to make sure everything was okay. Thank you Jeff! You are so kind!!



Well we decided we were just going to repair or replace the tire since the only spare that Wes' dad had was worthless. We headed over to Discount Tire. The parking lot was bustling with people. Wes took in the tire and was informed that they wouldn't have another one for him for 2 hours! This was just to replace the tire, not even to put it on the trailer, but just to hand us one to put in our trunk. We headed home again. Wes in his anger started digging holes in the yard. At first I was alarmed and wonder what in heavens name he is doing. I learned though that he was just digging a new line for the sprinkler system that will go to the planter box (Phew!). In the process of digging though he did manage to bust on of the pipes. Thank heavens he had extras, but when he went to glue it all together he found out that his PVC glue from last year had in fact hardened almost to a solid mass. Nice!



We finally got a call from Discount Tire and we all loaded up in my car to continue our adventure. We stopped off at a small hardware store to get PVC glue, a new sprinkler head, and wasp poison. The wasps LOVE our house. They always have. Anyway, we got the tire and headed over to the van perched which was on the side of a very busy, bustling road. Wes got the tire replaced and who happened to show up again? Our neighbor Jeff! Really he is super! Wes and Jeff rearranged the dirt in the trailer so it would stop leaking out the back. Then we headed home! Finally!!!!!



Lydia and I unloaded the car while Wes finished the sprinklers. Then Lydia and I filled in the sprinkler trench while Wes started cutting the wood for the planter box. Lydia and Adelle ended up being Wes' helpers while he built the box.


Once the box was built Lydia and Wes hammered in the stakes and then screwed on the second level of the box.
From there we all unloaded the MASSIVE amount of dirt. I stood on top and compacted everything while trying to rake it level.





After a SUPER LONG, TIRING Day it was done! YEAH!!!!!!!!! It is so super easy to plant in the box and I think it looks WONDERFUL!







I planted green bell peppers,



Jalapeno Peppers,


the grape vine,



Cilantro,

The Raspberry Bush,
Basil,

and the Blackberry Bush! I told the plants that the need to be fruitful and multiply especially after all of the hard work and money that has gone into building them a wonderful home.


Adelle was a wonderful helper and especially filthly!

Lydia was the dirtiest! I am so proud of my girls being such wonderful helpers. Wes was amazing!! What would I do without him! We are all so tired and I don't know how much longer I am going to make it despite being covered with a layer of dirt. Pregnancy sure doesn't help the energy level either. I was thinking that the planter box will probably be wonderful for my growing belly as I won't have to bend as far to weed or harvest. As I sit her aching from head to toe I am imaging fresh salsa from my tomatoes in the regular garden, my jalapeno peppers, bell peppers, and cilantro. YUM! Also I can imagine wonderful salads from my fresh spinach, basil and tomatoes. I know it will be worth every ounce of sweat and hard work. I hope we get bountiful crops this year. If not, the plants will be hearing from me!

No comments: