Thursday, May 7, 2009

What to do with my children

So I have been working from home this afternoon because Wes had court again. He has been VERY busy, which is good. Adelle recently received a CD player from Wes and I for her Birthday and she really didn't seem interested in it much at first. She really got into it when she found out she could listen to stories in her room. We borrowed "The Diary of a Worm" from the Library and she has been listening to it over and over. Also, she got a brand new CD in her happy meal last week. It is a Kidz Bop CD and has all sort of upbeat, poppy tunes. Adelle decided that she likes the music so much that she was just going to blast it. I could hear every word that was being sung all the way in the living room. It was SO LOUD. I asked her to turn it down and it struck me "Do I really need to say things like this already". She was quite upset when I came into her room to adjust the volume to a reasonable level. She melted into tears and advised me it was too quiet. Later she came out and advised me that she needs cheering up. Sigh. Why are my children so dramatic?

There was something interesting that happened last week as well. Lydia isn't the best at giving me papers from school. It is just how it has always been. Last Friday I was noticing the stack of papers Lydia had unearthed from her backpack. On the top of the list was a notice for the school maturation program. I looked at the date on the paper and noticed that the blessed event occurred 2 days earlier. I ask Lydia about it and she confesses that she gave it to me late on purpose because she didn't want to go. I advised her that I wouldn't have made her go. I state that it was probably mostly about periods anyway. She got this blank look on her face and I think "Oh No...doesn't she remember going over this". Lydia and I had to have the talk when she was 8 due to some things that the boys were saying at school. Anyway, I start to remind her about the blessed time of the month when each girl bleeds. Her eyes get all wide and she says "It happens every month!". I then realize that when I said "at a certain time each month" was interpreted to mean "at certain months". Poor Child!

I forgot that Adelle was listening and she gets all panicked and says "I don't want Lydia to bleed!" and "I don't want to bleed when I grow up". She didn't understand really anything except that we were talking about blood. She huddles in the corner all worried saying the same things about not wanting to bleed. I try to calm down my dramatic child while Lydia advises me that she doesn't want to talk about it anymore. I had one of those mom moments where I think "Great! I have traumatized my children".

Speaking of blood I have now found out that Lydia gets sick at the sight of blood, which isn't very different from Wes. I got some blood work done on Monday and the girls happened to be with me. I made Adelle hide under my coat, especially because of her freak out moment when we had just discussed blood the week prior. Lydia decides she wants to watch. The nurse proceeds to find my vein and starts collecting a small vial of blood. Lydia suddenly says "Ooooh! Gross!". She then proceeds to be dizzy and nauseous all of the way home. She didn't throw up, but I think she was pretty close.

We then proceeded to have a movie night after dinner. Wes was gone at a client meeting so we popped in "The Little Princess". It is one of my favorites! It really has some tender moments. It was interesting though to find myself tearing up and then to hear both of the girls bawling, not silently crying, but audibly bawling! This happened a couple of times in the movie. Seriously, what am I going to do with my dramatic girls! The house was just oozing estrogen and I was glad Wes wasn't there to encounter it.

I really do love my girls, but having two dramatic, somewhat sensitive children can really make life interesting at times.

4 comments:

The Barnum Family said...

Drama, drama, drama! Your girls are so cute!

Sarah Petersen said...

I remember a certain person being a little dramatic when they were growing up. >smirk<

The Circus said...

oh yikes, Liz, I have FOUR, possibly FIVE if things continue with West!!! I have drama coming out of my ears at every turn of events!

Kandis said...

bwahhaaa..sorry I'm laughing...the joys of being a momma to girls huh?
Oh..did I hear a rumor about you?