Wes has been reading a great book recently entitled "Don't Just Stand There: How to Be Helpful, Clued-In, Supportive, Engaged, Meaningful, and Relevant in the Delivery Room". It is an awesome book and I highly recommend it. Oh, and while I'm on the subject I highly recommend the DVD "Laugh and Learn About Childbirth". It is an amazing DVD if you are pregnant, even if it isn't your first baby. I learned new things and Wes and I feel much more comfortable about the upcoming birth of our baby.
Anyway, I digress. The book Wes has been reading recommends the woman having music she wants to listen to during labor. I really have loved the idea and have started making a play list of relaxing and comforting music. Can I just say that I am having the funnest time going through my music library and selecting music. I have about 5 hours worth so far, which granted means I'll need to burn about 5 separate Cd's.
I have always had a strong connection with music. I grew up with a father who loved to sit down and play at the piano and played in a band, and a sister with amazing musical talent, who can compose her own music. I gravitated towards choir classes in Junior High and High School and stage productions. There is nothing like letting music envelope you, fully and unreserved, without embarrassment. It can completely carry me away. I am finding a renewed love for certain songs as I put together my music list. I feel warmth and love as I listen to my father's music. I am swept away by Loreena Mckennit and Enya to still places and my mind is filled with beautiful imagery. I remember running on the beach in Oregon when I listen to Kings of Convenience. I feel the rhythm through my body of Latin drums as I listen to CEU.
I feel happy, comforted and calm as I listen to my own special music. What could be a more positive and beneficial thing to have while I am laboring to bring my daughter into the world. Besides, even if for one reason or another I don't get to use it I am enjoying it thoroughly now. These past few days have been some of the least stressful in a long time and I attribute it to the music. I am glad that I have rediscovered these treasures and incorporated them again into my life.
Ahhhhhh.....Life is Good! By the way, I'll have to post my play list later for those that are interested.
1 comment:
I would love to hear your playlist!
Post a Comment