Monday, October 26, 2009

Pregnant? Get in Line.

I had a prenatal appointment this last Thursday and my OBGYN really urged me to get vaccinated against H1N1 flu. Pregnant women are at high risk for developing complications. Unfortunately, their clinic has been unable to secure any of the coveted vaccine so she advised me to go to the public health department for their flu clinic. The clinics opened at 7:00 so I woke up early to take Adelle and I to get immunized. We got out there at 7:45 and I thought for sure that I wouldn't have any problems. I was SO WRONG! As I started approaching the clinic in my car I noticed cars everywhere parked along the street and a GIANT line of people. I said out loud "There is no way everyone in that line is eligible". Currently you have to meet certain risk criteria to get the vaccine.

I didn't know what else to do but to try and find a place to park and head into the giant line. It circled the building, went down the street, and into a residential neighborhood. It was so cold and I just couldn't believe how many people were there. Time crawled by as we tried to stay warm, avoid thinking about using the restroom, or eating. We even witnessed a car accident while we were waiting. It was so crazy. Three hours into the wait we were informed that they had run out of the vaccine and that we would need to leave. I was so tired and sore the rest of the day. It isn't easy for me to stand that long this far along in the pregnancy.

At this point I am pretty frustrated. I think the eligibility may have been opened up too much. Pregnant women were not able to get the flu mist when it came out because it isn't safe during pregnancy so we were left to wait for the injectible vaccine. Then it was opened up to a very large group of people. Couldn't there be some sort of priority? I don't think people were being honest in the line either. If you claimed you had a "chronic condition" you would be able to get the injection regardless of your age. It makes me wonder if some people are so afraid of the virus that they justified not being completely truthful. Perhaps, I am reading too much into everything or judging, but can't something else be done?

At this point I will just have to wait to see when more come out and also work on finding a place for the regular seasonal flu since many clinics have run out, including the public health department.

You might find the two links below interesting. They are news stories about the swine flu, including the mayhem at the clinic I was at.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=8430943

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=8440714

3 comments:

The Barnum Family said...

That is so crazy! I think you're right about a lot of people being paranoid and doing whatever they have to do to get the shot. But if they're otherwise healthy and not pregnant, it's usually not a huge deal. You'll get sick, but you won't die. You're right. They should have given priority to those who are pregnant or otherwise at high risk. Good luck finding a place to get the vaccine.

Tiffany said...

That is totally insane! I agree with you I think Ob/GYN's and Pediatricians should have first priority on the vaccination! I haven't really thought about it til I read this but I completely agree with you.... We have only gotten the regular flu shot... I don't even know if I need to get the H1N1 one or not...

Bonnie said...

The hubs went on Saturday, he didn't even get to wait, they were already turning peps away! I think it is true that people lie on the high risk. Ry contracted TB in Brazil so he is but I am sure people lie