Friday, October 2, 2009

Good News about Violet

We had a follow up ultrasound for our baby Violet today. At the 20 week ultrasound they actually discovered choroid plexus cysts in her brain. What is a choroid plexus cyst you ask.

"The choroid plexus is the area of the brain that makes the spinal fluid that surrounds the brain and spinal cord. There are two of these areas in the brain, one on either side. This is not an area of the brain that is involved in thinking.

Once in a while a cyst forms inside the choroid plexus and is called a "choroid plexus cyst" or a "CP cyst". Cysts can be found one one side or on both sides and they come in many different sizes. A choroid plexus cyst does NOT cause learning problems or mental retardation and are not cancer.

If mothers have other risk factors, a choroid plexus cyst may suggest that the baby has a higher chance of having a chromosome change such as Trisomy 18. Trisomy 18 is a very serious medical condition cause by an extra copy of chromosome #18. Most babies born with Trisomy 18 cannot survive long term".

You can only imagine how Wes and I felt as the doctor was giving us this information during the ultrasound. You hear that your baby has cysts in her brain and it is sure to raise some internal alarms. Honestly, I was really devastated at first. The doctor reassured us that the cysts if they stayed wouldn't cause any problems for the baby at all. She did advise us though that it put us at a higher risk for Trisomy 18. She told us that our odds were so slim though especially since my QUAD screen came back normal. She also said that the baby didn't show any other physical signs of having Trisomy 18.

She offered for us to come back at 28 weeks for a follow up ultrasound. She let us know that it really was unnecessary, but if it would give us peace of mind we could go ahead and get another one. My regular OBGYN said we should go ahead and get it since then we would get a chance to see the baby again.

We went in today and I am happy to report that the cyst's in Violets brain are completely gone! I really had come to terms that the cysts were pretty benign if they stayed and felt pretty confident that she didn't have Trisomy 18, but it is a relief to know that she no longer has the cysts!

She is still my little turkey though. She was still covering her face with her arms so were unable to get a 3D image of her, but really I can't complain. I am just so happy that from everything that we can see we have a healthy, little girl.

Oh, and why didn't I post this so long ago or share this information with family? I really didn't want to worry everyone, but I feel safe to share now that everything is well.

2 comments:

The Barnum Family said...

Small miracles are everywhere. I'm so glad that the cysts are gone and Violet is healthy and well.

Michelle said...

wow how scary for you two that probably was to get that news at first. I'm so glad they're gone, I've never heard of that before.