Well thinking of camping by the Jordanelle got us discussing canoes. We did some research and found out that a new canoe for our family really is quite affordable. Who would have guessed. We had looked at the KSL classifieds and they actually were about the same price or even more expensive. So Wes and the girls went down to Dick's Sporting Goods Store and picked up this Pelican Colorado Family Canoe.
The boat is 15 feet 6 inches long and weighs 76 pounds. We don't have a way to tow a canoe or a rack on top of our car, but we researched the problem before we bought the boat and found out that you can mount the boat safely on your car with special foam blocks and rigging.
This is what it looks like secure and ready to go on the top of our car. Honestly I think it looks a little funny, but amazingly it is super secure. We figured we better test our girl so we decided to take her out onto the Great Salt Lake. I know what you are thinking "The stinky Great Salt Lake". Yes, we took her there where the air is salty and the brine flies are PLENTIFUL. It was great practice though and besides it was fun.
We got practice securing the boat, taking her back down and then securing it back up on the car again. Actually it is pretty quick and easy. It is heavy though. 76 pounds is nothing to sneeze at! I am a tough girl though right? Right? Anyway, I was able to help carry the boat to the dock and heave it back onto the top of the car.
Wes bought the basic life jackets for everyone that are United States Coast Guard Approved. Here are the girls ready to go onto the boat. You know what is hilarious? The girls actually cleaned the kitchen and the living room before I got home from work because they thought I would be more likely to say yes to us going to the lake tonight. I can't complain. I love a clean house.
So once we got ourselves shoved off of the concrete dock we paddled out into the lake. We had to get used to working our paddles and turning ourselves the right way. I seemed to have the most control over direction. Perhaps it was because I was sitting at the rear of the boat. Boy, the water is salty though! My legs are now crusted with salt crystals.
It was a lot of fun though! It is also a lot of exercise. I just may have some pretty strong arms before the summer is up!
I thought this was a cute picture! Adelle with her Daddy! We couldn't be more excited for our new addition!
So we will be camping at the Jordanelle Rock Creek Campground next Tuesday until Friday Morning. I am really looking forward to it. We have decided to try another new hobby as well. Fishing! I know, what has come over us? Wes and the girls picked up fishing poles, bait, and a fillet knife. The ranger at the campground said that the fishing up there is really good right now. Who knows if we will really catch anything. Wes says there is an Oates' curse when it comes to fishing and he thinks it is highly unlikely that we will catch anything. I, on the other hand, am more optimistic. I think I am going to have to research how to gut a fish though. Ewwww! I can do it though right? I'm a tough girl! Fresh fish does sound super good. Perhaps we will have good luck! Besides when we went Crab Fishing in Oregon we caught A LOT of crab!
Our new canoe actually has rod holders! Woo Hoo! Our campsite has a dock just for canoes that puts you into the Provo river which then takes you into the Jordanelle. Hopefully it isn't too far. My arms are already a little sore from our little adventure. Exercise is good though!
We will be tenting it, enjoying campfires, smores, canoeing, fishing and the great outdoors! I can't wait!!!!
1 comment:
Oh how FUN! You guys will have a blast with that canoe!
A few years back when we were camping by a lake, a friend brought his canoe. We couldn't get our boys off the lake the whole weekend! :)
Have a funtastic time camping and paddling! Good times, good times! :D
Post a Comment