Sunday, June 21, 2009

Edible Garden

We have our first fruits of the season. Our Raspberry bush has produced a few red berries, despite the torrential rain and less than present sunshine. We have all tried one and think they are pretty good, but not as good as our fresh peaches we had last year from our tree.
We ate them even though the bugs have been nibbling on them a bit. I am just happy we have gotten any fruit yet this year. The blackberry bush looks terrible, I don't know if it is because there has hardly been any sun. There haven't been any blossoms on that bush yet. Thank heavens it is a perennial so hopefully it will start producing at least next year. The cilantro we planted looked like it wasn't going to make it. It came back to life, but then it promptly went to seed! Drat!
Hardly anything has come up in the other garden. Do you remember that laborious day when the girls and I planted the garden? I must have done something wrong. We only got two spinach plants which is really strange. We always get a lot! One of the plants got pulled while the girls were weeding. The peas were coming up great but then the monsoon hit and the morning glory took over. From there our poor sad peas where lost forever! The tomato plants have grown HUGE! There is really minimal fruit on them right now though, so hopefully as we get more sun we will see more fruit. The peach tree is abundant with developing fruit so hopefully we will have a bountiful harvest at the end of the season. Something is better than nothing I guess!

No comments: