Friday, June 12, 2009

My Crafty Moment

Last November I suddenly got a hankering to sew. Moments like this are VERY rare. I can often lose patience with a project, especially when my back starts killing me after hours of cutting fabric and leaning over a sewing machine. I did decide though to do a simple project. I have often seen chic nursing covers and have thought "I want one of those". Of course I could NEVER justify spending forty to fifty dollars on one since a simple blanket would really do the job. I did some research though and found information on how to make your own. I of course have now lost the link, but maybe with some digging I could find it again. I am just posting this project now because I figured if I posted it in November everyone would wonder if I was pregnant, which I wasn't. I knew we wanted another baby and I thought "why not". Wes thought I was a little crazy "planning ahead", but it didn't deter me.


I did subject my poor family though to an hour or so of wandering up and down rolls and rolls of fabric. I think Wes was ready to pull his hair out, even though he usually likes the fabric store. I wanted to find just the right fabric, something chic and beautiful. This of course takes time, especially because I can be so indecisive. I settled on this beautiful green fabric that is embroidered with butterflies. I didn't want anything that would overly suggest a girl or a boy, since obviously I had no idea what we were going to have someday.
This was the finished product. A simple, but very functional cover.


I loved the ingenious idea of putting a small strip of boning in between the neck straps. This allows the top to slightly open out allowing for air flow and for you to see the baby while nursing. The straps were very simple to make, even with my limited skills and allows you to adjust the cover as needed.


This less than glamorous photo with me wearing the cover was taken back in November. I was very proud of my project though and so happy I was able to make something all on my own, without even nagging Wes too much about how to do it. It was pretty inexpensive and all in all I think the project only took about 4 hours. I am sure some of you could make it even quicker. Well at least if I won't look chic after the baby is born, I will have a chic cover for my baby. Silly I know! The great thing too is that there is lots of "coverage"! .
By the way...I dug around and found the link http://www.blisstree.com/breastfeeding123/free-pattern-to-sew-your-own-nursing-cover/. If you have a friend or family member that is expecting and nurses this would be a FABULOUS gift and super inexpensive!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Great job on your project, way cute material. Lisa made me a similar one and they are soooo nice to have cause a lot of blankets were too hot and he would try to pull at the blanket. So those are way nice.

Deborah said...

That is great Liz! You did an amazing job! I have always wanted one, but like you didn't want to fork out the money for it. I think I can follow this pattern and make one myself. I will most likely have to ask for help from someone, as my sewing skills required for this aren't the best. Thanks for posting the link!

Bonnie said...

Great info! I never had one!