We followed this mystical path, climbing down a tall wooden staircase to the beach below.
There also happened to be this strange, manufactured waterfall. When we came to the sea caves the water was already rising. The tide is lowest early in the morning. We were still able to see wonderful creatures just outside the caves.
There were bunches of anemones stuck to the rocks, as well as very large mussels.

We ended up finding a back way into the caves though to my delight and were amazed at everything we saw.
There were so many starfish of various colors and sizes. You could poke at them as much as you wanted.
There were a few small pools still in the caves. I love that my camera can capture ripples on the water.

Who knew sea life could be so colorful. You could touch the sea anemones and they would start moving and closing up their little bodies. They wouldn't sting you since their tentacles were all gathered inside their bodies.
My girls enjoying the mysterious caves!

Wes looks pretty happy as well. We realized that we shouldn't stay too long since we had arrived when the tide was already rising. When we exited the caves we were dismayed to see our way blocked by the sea. We weren't sure what to do at first. Lydia decided she would be "brave" and just go for it. She ran right around a large rock where I couldn't see her. I yelled at her to come back, but she didn't hear me. Suddenly I heard frantic screaming. I was terrified that she was being swept out to sea, since I couldn't see what was happening to her and because her screaming sounded so alarming. She suddenly came splashing back around the rock absolutely drenched! She had run right into a deep part of the beach, fallen down, and even received a few small stings from anemones.
Once we realized she was safe Wes and I couldn't help but laugh a little. The poor girl! Look at her face!!
I found the shallow way through and everyone followed. Adelle was lucky and got to be carried by Wes.
We climbed back up the cliff staircase to our car. I had to snap this picture of Adelle and the mossy, green surroundings.
We headed back to our place (the 3 story property located center) so Lydia could take a shower and change her clothes and so we could change our shoes. I even went searching at the local stores for flip flops for Wes since he hadn't brought an extra pair of shoes. Once that was done the girls wanted to go wading on the beach. It was chilly, but we just couldn't pass up visiting the beach.
Adelle and I found this little sand crab.
When you place them back on the sand they quickly dig down and bury themselves.
Even though it was cold Adelle still rolled up her pants and waded in the freezing water!
Lydia had to join in the fun as well, even though she had just barely warmed up. The weather was getting worse so we headed back our place. It began to rain so we decided to head into town to check out some of the local fun.
Being in Tillamook we couldn't pass up a tour of the Tillamook Cheese Factory. If you ever are in the area, don't pass up this adventure!!! Seriously, it was awesome.
It was super busy the day we went, but it was still great. You can watch the workers making, slicing, and packaging the yummy cheese. You get free cheese samples and they have the BEST ice cream and fresh waffle cones and bowls! Ooooooh yummy!!!
Oh yes, this was the line for the ice cream, but it was well worth the wait.
Lydia with her super chocolate ice cream.
Wes with his fresh waffle bowl and blueberry ice cream. Everyone in the family agreed I made the best choice with the marrionberry pie ice cream, and no, I'm not pictured :) Marionberries grow locally in the area and are delicious! I picked a few things at the gift shops including Marionberry Jam for my mother-in-law and super sharp white cheddar to enjoy on the trip. After the Tillamook Cheese Factory we headed to Debbie D's Sausage factory (which I forgot to take a picture of). The little place is run by the sweetest women and she can make some yummy jerky! She shared several samples with us and Wes couldn't resist purchasing some Teriyaki Beef Sticks!

From there we headed over to the Blue Heron French Cheese Company to enjoy yet even more samples. We tried brie, gourmet mustards, sauces and jams. We sure ate a lot that day! We decided to buy some sweet and sour mustard. Lydia also found some flamingo shaped pasta which we are planning on giving to Lexi (my soon to be sister in law). She absolutely loves flamingos.
Outside the Blue Heron they have a petting zoo, and even though it was misting rain the girls had to check it out.
I enjoyed sitting in the arm chair and looking at this view from the living room. Day 3 was probably my most favorite day of the trip!

I always knew they were animals!




No comments:
Post a Comment