Saturday, December 24, 2011

I Did What?

Back earlier in the summer when I was at Erin's Slumber Party I ran into an amazing group of women at the Twilight Mom's Booth. Funny enough I had just finished watching the second and third movie in the Twilight Series (thanks to my down time with my wisdom teeth removal) and we had a fun time talking about the Twilight Series.



Some of my blog followers might be perplexed and quite confused at this point. I know what you are thinking "But Liz you don't like Twilight. Remember...you posted all about it." Yes...I know, but you see I started reading the books again and they just sort of grew on me. They became a sort of guilty pleasure. I couldn't admit to anyone that I liked them. That would just be too embarrassing. Don't judge me too harshly readers. I know Stephanie Meyer is just an okay writer, I know the story is silly, and I know vampires aren't really sparkly, but somehow the whole combination has hooked me. I will show you some horrible proof of how badly it held me. This is how many Twilight related things I had in my possession at one time, granted most of it was thanks to our local library. You should have seen my slink in and out of the library each time I got something Twilight related.




Back to what I was saying though. The Twilight Mom's were so welcoming and warm and their enthusiasm was contagious. They even mentioned that they were going to have a grand Breaking Dawn Movie Premier Party. There was a little voice in my head that said "Ooooh...that sounds fun! You should do that". I quickly suppressed this evil little voice for several months until one night sitting in front of my computer screen I purchased a single ticket for myself. Thinking how silly and insane I was there was a part of me that embraced the weirdness.



In fact while I was reading about all of the events that were going to take place, including a costume contest, another evil voice popped up. "Look-A-Like Costume Contest! You should do that!". Now I knew I had gone crazy but in my defense if you know our family at all you know how much we love costumes and costume contests. Saying the word costume contest is like holding candy in front of Violet. There is no turning back once it has been presented.


I pondered for several weeks what I should dress up as. Twilight doesn't have any hugely defined characters. Everyone pretty much dresses in normal clothing, but then one character came to mind; someone in fact who has some pretty unique costume pieces. Victoria! I mean if you've seen the movie who can forget the sheepskin cape. I went on a crusade to put together the perfect costume. DI and Savers were wonderful in fueling my strange new obsession and I was able to put together a good costume. I was still missing a fur cape though so I went to Joanne's and found some great faux fur. I even took some time to cut out the cape and attach some leather straps. I even found a perfect red wig (brand new of course) to top off the ensemble.


As the night approached I was all ready to go out on my own to the madness. Wes would have come with me, but we weren't going to leave the girls overnight on a school night. I had a co-worker who would have come with me, but she had already won tickets to another Breaking Dawn Premier. At least I had gotten to know some Salt Lake City Twilight Fans on Facebook and we planned to meet up together.


I walked somewhat nervously into the pre-movie party/reception. I should have never been afraid. I had SO MUCH FUN! My costume was a hit. Right away people knew who I was. In fact I was frequently asked by complete strangers if they could get their picture taken with me.


Here is a picture of the real Victoria:





And here is what I looked like. Okay, maybe I shouldn't have had such a serious face.




I wasn't the only one to dress up though. There was another SLC Twi-Fan that convinced her husband to dress up as Edward and she dressed up as Bella. They had the movie poster pose down.







Another girl in our group dressed up like Alice. The gal dressed as Bella above actually made the Alice dress.



The party at the hotel was pretty busy, but really fun. There were booths, games, treats, and you could even get a hair and makeup makeover if you wanted. I passed on that one of course since I was already in costume and a wig.



The SLC Twi-Fans then headed to a nearby restaurant where we ate before the very late movie. Kandi, the head of SLC Twi-Fans also had a trivia game where we could win prizes. I picked up a few fun things! There was the cutest girl with down syndrome who was attending the event and she was quite taken with all of us that were dressed up. She made sure to take time to talk to each of us.



After we ate we headed over to the theater. There was a pretty big line to get in, which we found really funny since it was reserved seating. We waited till there wasn't a line and headed into the theater.



It was one of the biggest theatres I'd ever seen! We were pretty far up, but the screen was HUGE so I wasn't worried about not being able to see the movie.



Here is most the of the SLC TWI group.




There were even more games over at the theater. This girl in our group won a fun box full of Cullen goodies.




There were a lot of people participating in the look-a-like costume contest. One of the women in the theater dressed up as a pregnant Bella. She was really pregnant and her stomach was huge and she had painted it to look all bruised. It was a little gross. She did win one of the prizes, but I won as well!




We all had settled in and watched the movie. I had a very large coke which is very much out of the ordinary for me, but it kept me awake. I actually enjoyed the movie and afterwards we snapped a group picture.


I came back tired but content. The next day was a little odd since I didn't get a lot of sleep, but I think I would consider doing it again. I had to snap a few pictures of my goodies from the event.




I won some Twilight Journals at the SLC Twi-Fans Dinner.




I bought this personalized necklace at the pre-movie party. It is stamped with Wes' name.



We got quite the goodies from the Twilight Moms at the movie. A Breaking Dawn metal book nook, a syringe pen, and a cottage key bracelet.



I won a lot of Team Jacob items for the look-a-like contest. A lot of it went into a white elephant gift for work.



And last, but not least, the photo booth picture from the party. It was quite the event!



1 comment:

Mahatma said...

I love it that you have such an adventurous spirit! ...j