Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Bookworms!

My poor children are growing up in a nerd filled household. They haven't figured it out yet, which is good. Reading is a big part of our lives, especially during the dark, winter months. Actually I am proud that we all like to read so much. It makes me feel like my children are building a good, stable base for their futures.

I do find it funny though that Lydia will read so many books at once. She started "Inkdeath" by Cornelia Funke not long after Christmas. It is the third in the Inkheart series. I personally have read the first two and really have enjoyed them. I wish Eleanor (an older lady in the book) didn't swear on occasion though. In the meantime though she read Lemony Snicket's "The Bad Beginning". Lydia and I have also been reading "Alice in Wonderland" in the evenings before bed. A few days ago she also starting reading the "Diary of Anne Frank". I am thrilled about this one. It is one of my absolute favorites. She is going to do a Biography on Anne Frank at school and thought she would read her diary. What amazes me is that she can keep all of the books straight.

I myself have been known to read a few at a time, but not 3 or 4. I am currently listening to "Jo's Boys" by Louisa May Alcott. It is the third of the series after "Little Women" and "Little Men". I am really enjoying it. I am finding more and more that I tend to gravitate to classic books which center around the family and home. They are ideal images of family bliss. I also started "Shirley" by Charlotte Bronte a few nights ago. It is interesting thus far. Most of her novels are pretty dark and depressing so we will see where this one takes me.

I received the complete works of Charlotte and Emily Bronte as a late Christmas present. Wes had intended to give it to me at Christmas, but he left it in the trunk and forgot about it, until he went grocery shopping a few weeks after Christmas. He was embarrassed, but I was super excited!! I have already read "Wuthering Heights", "Jane Eyre", and "Vilette" before. I now need to read "Shirley" and "The Professor".

Adelle loves to get stacks of books from the library and she is usually content to have me read to her for an hour or so. She has been choosing a lot of Bernstein Bear and Blue's Clues books recently. I enjoy these moments with her and I hope they will last long into her adolescence. By then we will probably be into chapter books. She has been known to check out books that we have read over and over again. The most recent one is "Ella Bella Ballerina and the Sleeping Beauty". She begged me to act it out with her last night after we had already read it. It is funny to see her dancing around the living room being Ella Bella.

Wes hasn't read too much since Law School. I think it is because he was forced to read so much dry material in order to become an Attorney. He did pick up a few fantasy books at the library the other day. He said they were awful though. I found him later that evening writing his own story. I hope he will let me read it sometime soon!

I am sure in the summer the reading will taper off a little because we will be having outdoor adventures, but right now I am going to savor our little reading moments.

3 comments:

Erica said...

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being a bookworm. I loved reading as a child, and I'd do the same thing Lydia does. I liked being able to pick up something I was more in the mood for when one book got predictable or something. I'm glad to hear the whole family is enjoying literature so much!

Tad Wimmer said...

Bookworm? I love bookworms. Just in case you haven't found it yet, Amy and I have an online bookstore where we sell the books we no longer have room for (we have somewhere on the order of 3,000 volumes in our personal library! We're still entering books, so check back often.

Unknown said...

Tad that is awesome!!! I will be checking your site frequently for finds!!