I of course have never taken art classes and was at first afraid to color something that would be on my daughter's wall for years, but I went for it anyway. Not to bad, even if they are different from Wes' pictures above.
Then Saturday my mother-in-law and myself set out for HOURS to get supplies for the cross stitching and the bedding set. I left the house at 9:30 AM and didn't make it back until 6:00 PM. I was exhausted after going to a specialty cross stitch store, three Joann stores (including one in Orem), South Towne Mall and Ross. The last two stops were for a baby shower present. By the time we got back home I could hardly stand anymore. My mother-in-law really was sweet and I appreciated her help. Wes, Ellen and I even sat around for a few hours after dinner to prepare my stitching floss for the project. I had to buy 100 different colors for this massive thing! Thank heavens for people who love me despite my insanity.
Ellen has decided to cross stitch the Alice and the Cheshire cat picture and I am going to cross stitch the White Rabbit picture. After really looking at the size of these projects I have realized that it is very likely that they will not be on the wall for some time to come. It may be years, but I'm not giving up. I calculated the costs of the project and honestly I could have bought a really nice print for the amount of money that has already been sunk into the project. That is another reason I shouldn't quit. Besides, I am finding that I am enjoying it most of the time. I hate it though when I make a mistake and have to unstitch work that I have already done, but I am learning. Right now it looks like a few small color blobs on a very large piece of fabric. I know it will look amazing when I am finished, and readers...I will finish.
Wes has began work on the bedding set for Violet. We were able to find a beautiful print fabric. I think it will go great with the theme. Wes is planning on making the baby quilt, bumpers, a crib bed skirt and two fitted sheets. I know he will get these projects done on time because he is a master when it comes to sewing. I guess at least my girl will have a cute bed set and some Alice pictures on the wall. Hopefully we will be able to at least make the tea cup lamp as well.
Of course these are not the only projects we need to undertake. I have not forgotten about my beautiful girls that I already have and their big move to the family room in the basement. There is painting to be done and some furniture that needs sanding and re-painting. There is also organizing and trips to the DI to plan. I can't do most of these things like the painting and furniture. I can't move heavy things, but I can organize. One of these days we'll get a jump on everything.
At least the projects keep us busy. I usually have a hard time just sitting around not doing anything. I like to feel useful, even if I'm really just running around in circles sometimes. I am hoping that my girls' spaces will look amazing when we are all done!
3 comments:
I love to do cross-stich. I'm working on Mark's Christmas stocking, I got lazy last year and didn't finish it. I finished Chase's though. It can be tough, but I know you can do it!
Thanks for the encouragement Deborah! I'm going to need it! The finished size is about 16" x 23" and that is on 18 point fabric :)
Mark's stocking is 14 ct fabric. I don't think I have ever done an 18 pt. They will be a great thing for Violet to treasure when she is older.
Post a Comment