Last night the girls and I finished "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" by Lewis Carroll. Did you know this novel was written in 1865? I have a pretty old copy (I'm sure it isn't from 1865) that has wonderful illustrations in it by John Tenniel (same illustrations in this post). Lydia has quite enjoyed me reading it to her. Whenever I had to put it away in the evenings Lydia was so disappointed. She always wanted me to read just a little bit more. Adelle has listened to most of the novel as well. Adelle remarked at times how it was different than the movie. At first she thought I was getting it wrong, but then I explained that the book was made before the Disney movie.
Most everyone is familiar with the classic tale of the English girl falling down the rabbit hole to a land of wonder and often complete nonsense. Reading through the book as an adult I wondered why the story was so silly at times. I was intrigued by the ugly duchess who sings a strange song about how she beats her baby. It goes "Speak roughly to your little boy, And beat him when he sneezes; He only does it to annoy, Because he knows it teases". Alice of course is appalled by the women and tries to save this baby, which actually ends up turning into a pig and runs off into the forest for a much happier life.

The story is full of imaginative images and reminds me of how as a child I would imagine falling into my own strange worlds filled with wonder, and yes even some darkness. As a child I didn't want my worlds to be all joy and happy endings. I enjoyed the struggles against the evil things of the world and the struggle to try and conquer the darkness!
I hadn't remembered the last part of the book, which seemed to be speaking to the adults reading the novel. Alice's sister is sitting on the river bank pondering on the strange dream that her sister has woken from. The book closes with this "Lastly, she pictured to herself how this sister of hers would, in the after-time, be herself a grown woman; and how she would gather about her other little children, and make their eyes bright and eager with many a strange tale, perhaps even with the dream of Wonderland of long-ago: and how she would feel with all their simple sorrows, and find a pleasure in all their simple joys, remembering her own child - life, and the happy summer days".
Doesn't that just say it all? I thought so. We can make our children's lives so much more the magical and wonderful. I love books!
The only question now is what to read next. I am leaning towards "The Secret Garden" by Frances Hodgson Burnett, or perhaps we will read "Through the Looking Glass" by Lewis Carroll. I haven't read the later one myself.
Do you have any suggestions?
7 comments:
I have to admit that I couldn't stand "Alice in Wonderland." Can't put my finger on it though.
Last year Sydney and I read "The Secret Garden" and "The Little Princess." We also read "A Wrinkle in Time" and right now we are reading "The Magician's Nephew" from the Chronicles of Narnia. I love the Narnia books.
In a blog post further down I saw that you have read "Villette" by Charlotte Bronte. Did you like that one? I have started it twice and not been able to get into it. Is it worth trying again?
This year I am going to read two books by Anne Bronte: "Agnes Grey" and "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall."
I have the Disney movie memorized, but I think I have only read the book maybe once, and I don't think the entire book. I love that story. Thanks for the inspiration to read it!
Hmmm...I'd say, for continuity's sake, it'd make more sense for you to read Through the Looking Glass next. It has some of Carroll's best poetry. I love "Jabberwocky" and "The Walrus and the Carpenter". Of course, The Secret Garden is a classic. As is Little Lord Faunterloy and A Little Princess. I've got a book with all three somewhere... Anyway, you should finish up Alice's adventures before moving on.
Many think that Alice in Wonderland is a political satire disguised as a children's story. For example, the card gardeners mistakenly painting the white roses red, and the whole bit with the queen of hearts could be a spoof on the "war of the roses" a period clash between the Lancasterians and the Yorks in England.
The Burnett stories are wonderful. (We have several copies of each! And three different movie versions of The Little Princess) But may I suggest that you include The Wizard of Oz as a contrast to the Lewis Carrol? Frank Baum's book is also thought to be a political commentary, and stems from nearly the same period, but American in origin. In fact, the name 'Oz' is thought to be from the abbrieviation for Ounce, and the wild story is believe to have been inspired by the economic upheaval that occured when the United States government started tinkering with the relationships between the price of silver and gold.
Nevertheless, they are still great stories for children.
Liz,
I can understand not liking "Alice in Wonderland". It is out there! I love the Narnia books as well. Especially the later ones. That is a good recommendation for the girls.
I would recommend reading "Villette". It is a much slower read than "Jane Eyre" and doesn't have the ending I would have liked. That said, I think what I found most interesting about the book is the main character Lucy and the in depth exploration of her character. If you end up reading it you will have to tell me what you thought of it.
Lydia and Adelle are so fortunate you are instilling the love of reading in them. One day they will realize you are never alone when you have a good book.
Alice and wonderland has always freaked me out not sure why just too out there for me. But I give you credit for reading it.
Post a Comment