Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Grateful for the Lord's Apostles


We had our Stake Conference this last week and we were very blessed to have Elder Ballard attend and be our main speaker. I made a point this time to attend the adult season and the regular session. I usually only go to the regular session with my girls. For the Saturday night adult session I arrived an hour early to make sure I had a good seat. Honestly, I probably could have arrived a little later, but it was nice to be there enjoying the calm of the chapel and reading from the scriptures.



Also in attendance for the Saturday night session was the Salt Lake City mission president and his wife, and Elder Keach (sp?) who is one of the area seventy. It was a wonderful meeting! The first thing that struck me was the volume of singing. I had never heard a sound so amazing in our little, local chapel. There were so many people in attendance that when we sang the opening song I was deeply moved. It made me think of a heavenly choir of angels!


Speaker after speaker motivated and inspired me to do even better in my life. Elder Keach spoke of three things that we can do when difficult changes come.


1. Humble ourselves and seek Heavenly Father's guidance.


2. Get Involved and Serve Others


3. Heavenly Father will Guide us along.



He did point out that these things will take place in God's own time, his own way and his own will. He said that the Lord's promise to those that are faithful is - Be of good cheer for you are little children and I will lead you along and my angels will be around you.


From there Elder Ballard spoke. He was so warm and humorous. I have never heard him make jokes before, but it was nice to feel like I knew him better. He discussed the importance of family and how the family is under attack. He went on to counsel mothers and fathers to love their children. He instructed fathers to be loving and kind. He advised fathers and husbands if they are raising their voices to their family that they need to stop it that night. He instructed mothers not to raise their voices to their children. Here Elder Ballard threw in some humor and said "I know you are thinking But Elder Ballard, you don't know my children". He also counseled husbands and wives to kneel down every night and to give a prayer of thanks to Heavenly Father that they have had one more day together. He said husbands and wives should take turns saying the prayer.



From there he went on to counsel grandparents to make memories for their grandchildren, especially memories centered around the gospel. He told wonderful stories of his own family and those things they have experienced.


I loved to listen to him speak and felt the spirit so strongly. I loved being able to sit so closely to the podium and to be able to have Elder Ballard look into my eyes as he was speaking. It meant a lot to me. It helped me remember the eternal perspective in my life. All of my silly worries about work and other mundane things melted away. I came home to my family so happy and grateful.


The next morning I woke up very tired but I didn't want to miss the general stake conference meeting. Lydia was with her dad for the weekend so she was unable to come with us. Adelle and I got ready and left the house early to walk to the the local high school (my old school in fact). Our Stake Center is currently being renovated so we held the meeting at the high school auditorium, which in some ways is very strange. I performed on that stage so many times and to come back to attend church there is well a little odd. In fact, my old choir teacher was there running the sound booth.


We got to the meeting about an hour early and Adelle insisted that we sit on the very front row right by the stage. We saved our seats and mingled with some wonderful people, some that I hadn't seen in a long time. The meeting began and Adelle colored while I listened intently. Members of our stake presidency spoke. The president of the Oquirrh Mountain Temple and his wife spoke as well. Elder Keach spoke again. He directed his words especially to the youth and his talk was absolutely wonderful.


Our last speaker was Elder Ballard. He first started out by remarking how wonderful it was to have the children there in attendance. You could hear babies and toddlers talking and crying, but he made a point to say how glad he was that they were there. He said it is important that children come to meetings because it develops a wonderful habit of attending church. He then directed his thoughts mainly to the women, which I loved. He spoke of how important women are to the Lord. He cited two stories from the bible to emphasize this point. He first spoke of the woman of Samaria who was at the well. He then read from the bible the story (see John Chapter 4). By the way, I loved that he read from the scriptures more than any other speaker. He said that Jesus for the first time proclaims that he is the Messiah. Elder Ballard pointed out that this wonderful news was first told to a woman.


He then referenced another story from the Bible when Jesus Christ rose on the third day after his death. He said the first person that Jesus Christ spoke to after he was brought back to life was Mary, a women. Elder Ballard advised us that women are precious to the Lord and hold a very special place in his heart. It touched me deeply to be reminded how precious we are as daughters of god. He advised men and children to respect and honor the women in their lives and if this hasn't been done that we should apologize to these women.



He also spoke of how important it is that we listen to the spiritual promptings in our lives. He relayed several stories of outcomes he has had when he has listened to the promptings. He first shared a story (one that I must have heard in conference before) about when he was a Bishop. He had felt a spiritual prompting late one snowy evening to go visit a widow in the ward. He ignored the prompting thinking he would go early the next morning. When he arrived on the doorstep of the woman the next morning he learned that the sister had passed away. He promised himself from that moment on that he would never ignore a prompting again. It reminded me that I need to live my life in a way that I can receive spiritual promptings and when those promptings come I should listen immediately.

At the end of the conference Elder Ballard advised us that he wanted to leave early with the Stake President to go to the overflow building to speak briefly to those who had not been able to be in physical attendance at the meeting. They were receiving the meeting through a video transmission. He then advised everyone to raise their hands in the air in front of them. He then asked us to move our hands up and down while he did the same thing. He then said "Now you can go home and write in your Journal I shook hands with Elder Ballard today". I think there is a great longing when a general authority visits a stake to be able to meet with them and to be near. I could tell that Elder Ballard is aware of this need, which of course can not be met for every person within the stake. I felt his love for us though and was so very grateful for the opportunity to be in attendance.
Adelle wanted to met with the Elder Ballard afterwards, but unfortunately that wouldn't be an option. Instead we walked home with a lovely sister in the ward enjoying the sunny day. I don't think I will ever forget that weekend. I am really looking forward to the upcoming General Conference as well. It really is my favorite time of the year when I can listen to the prophet and his apostles speak to me and others all around the world. I am so grateful that Heavenly Father has sent us loving leaders to guide, help and to direct us. I know I am not alone.

3 comments:

Jaimie said...

Thank you so much for posting about the talks, especially Saturday night. My husband wasn't feeling well so I wasn't able to attend. It's nice to be able to read what was said. I too loved Elder Ballard's talk on Sunday. I felt the spirit so strong. I really loved when he said to the women "You come to mortality with a gift that is heavenly." It helps me to remember that my soft heart isn't a weakness at all; It's a strength and a gift from my Heavenly Father.

Deborah said...

Liz, I want to thank you as well for posting detailed info about the adult session. I spent that afternoon in the hospital and we got home while it was going. I had to go home and rest reather than go. I was a little disappointed. I loved reading what you wrote. Sunday really was a special day and meeting with him there!

Kandis Broadhead said...

It was so wonderful! I loved every minute of it! Thanks for the re-recount.....it reminds me of how truly blessed I am!