I got a call from my sister early this morning. She was crying and the first thought that passed through my mind was that my grandmother had passed away. She fell two days ago and is in the hospital. To my dismay though she informed me that my father has passed away. I was just shocked. My father has been relatively healthy these past few years. He did have a heart attack about 4 years ago, but he has been well since then. His heart just couldn't handle the attack this morning. It is hard to suddenly have him gone. The first few hours after losing a loved one are always challenging, not only because you realize that someone you care for is no longer alive, but because of the hours, days, weeks, and months ahead you have to face without them. I went to the hospital this morning to spend some time with family and with my dad even though he had already passed away. I brought my little Violet with me. I haven't ever left her before and I wasn't even sure if she would take a bottle. Besides it was a comfort to have my little one there. My grandmother and brother saw Violet for the first time, It was especially good to see my grandmother smile at her new great-grandbaby. It was strange though to see the pale skin of my father and the bright, beautiful skin of a newborn; to have new life so close to death. It was surreal to sit in the hall feeding my little girl listening to the heart monitors of other patients and know that my father's heart will never beat again.
Despite everything I am so grateful for my beliefs. It is comforting to know I will see my father again. I know I will still cry, still miss him, and still wish that he wasn't taken so soon, but feeling the Holy Ghost comforting me is a wonderful blessing.
My father has written songs for all of my girls. Julie (my step-mom) told me that my dad had just finished Violet's song. He had played it for Julie just this past Sunday. I never will get to hear it in this life though. It hasn't been recorded. I wonder if my little Adelle was prompted or perhaps it is just coincidence, but Adelle actually wrote a song for Violet last night. It is simple and sweet.
I am glad I will always have my father's music. He of course is listed as my favorite musician on my blog. He truly is. He was never famous or made it rich, but I loved his music. He loved playing at the Roof Restaurant every Saturday night. I know his music will be missed there.
I know there will be an outpouring of love from everywhere. My dad touched so many lives and meant so much to so many people. I hope that people will know about his death so they can be there to say goodbye. I know how important that is to us as humans. We want that final moment to honor those we love.
I worry about Julie so much. I can't imagine what it would be like to lose my love and companion. I hope we will be able to buoy her up in the days to come. I adore her and want to do anything I can to help her.
Wes is a wonderful support to me and even though he is sad he has been wonderful to help me. Right now we are just gathered in our home decompressing, calling loved ones, and coping. I know there will be work to do yet with funeral arrangements. The viewing is going to be Wednesday and the funeral will be Thursday.
I just had to write out my thoughts. It is part of my process of coming to terms. I also want those who love him to know. I will still be here. I will be missing him, my wonderful father, but I'll still be here.
16 comments:
I'm so so sorry for your loss. I just loved your dad! Our hearts our with you at this time. May the memories live on! Where is his viewing and funeral?
Bob Gandy was one of my first real-life musical role-models. He'll be missed.
Liz,
I am so sorry to hear about your father. He is an amazing man! I loved singing with him in the stake choir. He could always make me laugh. He is a wonderful musician and I loved his music. I also loved how he shared his talents with the Cyprus choirs so they could have all the wonderful recordings that they have.
Both Dave and I have wonderful memories of your dad and our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Jeanine Brown
Liz,
I'm so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time. I hope you find some comfort in your memories and the closeness of your family.
Hailey
Liz & family, my the Lord be with you at this time; I went to school with Phillip and knew your dad through his associations with Mr. Moore... what a great loss... my thoughts are with you.
Liz,
I'm so sad to hear of your loss. Your dad is such a wonderful man, the world has lost such a talented, loving person! Where is the viewing going to be? You and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers at this time, let me know if I can do anything for you.
So glad you put this on facebook and directed me to your blog. I have very fond memories of Bob. I smile to think back about the time we were chaperones on a CHS choir tour and the ladies in my room invited your dad to come join us in eating lots of yummy desserts. We didn't invite anyone else, just your dad. It was great fun!
I will miss his sense of humor, his kind and heartfelt words, and his beautiful music. I am anxious to see you and Julie and give you both a very big hugs. My family will be in attendance at the funeral and we are grateful for the opportunity to honor a good man. Love to you, Joline Walgamott
Liz,
I am so sorry to hear about your dad. I will keep all of you in my prayers.
Liz, I don't even know what to say, I'm just so sad for you right now. It is so hard to lose a loved one, even with the knowledge that you will see them again. Your dad was such an awesome person, he always amazed me with all that he could do. I know you and your family will feel the Lord's love and comfort through this hard time. Love, Steph
I'm so sorry to hear that your father passed. I have very fond memories of him. He will be missed. My heart goes out to you and your family.
Liz - I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. He was a great man and will be missed by many. Our thoughts are with your family. Please let us know if there is anything we can do.
Liz, I'm so sorry for your loss. I have so many great memories of being at your home in high school and listening to your dad play the piano.
My first thought when I heard of your father's passing was of Julie. Please let her know that I will be thinking of her and my prayers are with her and with all of your family.
Dear Liz,
I've been a lurker for awhile but decided that I needed to say hi now.
I am so very sorry for the loss of your dad. I know you've been so close to him and I believe that losing your dad at any age is very hard. I work for Intermountain Donor Services (the organ and tissue recovery agency for Utah) and when I saw his name come across my desk this morning my heart sank, understanding what you are going through.
I send my love and prayers to you and your family. Please know we are thinking of you.
Jamie (Thacker) Newman
P.S. You're daughters are beautiful!
Liz, I am so sorry for your loss. What can I do for you? Let me know if I can watch your girls or help with anything.
We love ya!
Kandis
Liz, my thoughts and prayers go out to you and to your beautiful family. I'm so sorry for your loss.
I left you a post on facebook. If you don't see it, I just want to let you know that I am very sad to hear about your Dad. He was a great man and a wonderful example to me.
I will miss him very much. I am honored that I had the chance to know him. I look back on those days I got to spend time with your family as wonderful days.
He will always have a special place in my life. My thoughts, prayers and love are with you and your family at this time.
Sam
Post a Comment