Later this morning we will meet to plan the funeral. It is likely I will be involved somehow whether it be singing or talking. I remember singing for my mother's funeral and my step-sister's funeral. It is very difficult, but important to those listening. Sarah said as long as we don't sing Amazing Grace she hopes she would be able to manage. We sang Amazing Grace at my mom's funeral.
To be without both of my natural parents before the age of 30 is difficult. It makes my childhood a little sad and painful right now. To think back to my life as a child makes me cry. I feel like my childhood has been turned into a museum piece. Watching one of my favorite childhood movies with the girls last night was one thing that made the tears start flowing. I haven't had a lot of moments to cry yet. I know the tears will come and I'm sure at some of the most unexpected times.
I haven't had too much time to focus and really think about everything yet. It is all so new and there is so much to do to take care of my own children and to help them feel safe and loved. Helping someone else takes the focus off me and my feelings. I know I will get time to have it hit me more. I remember with my mother.
Dad was amazing. He wasn't perfect. None of us are, but he taught me so much. He was one of the most sentimental people I know. I know that is how I became a sentimental person. He loved presents with heart whether it was a monkey puppet that reminded him of his childhood or a letter; that was what touched him.
He was quite reflective when he visited me at the hospital when I had Violet. He was thinking back to the heart attack he had 4 years earlier. He spoke of enjoying every day. He was so happy to see Violet. He took pictures on his cell phone and was so proud of her. It was the last time we spoke in person and I will always cherish that memory.
3 comments:
I'm so sorry for your loss, Liz. My prayers are with you and your family as you go through this difficult time.
Oh gosh Liz, I just got on here and saw this. I've called my parents and they're heartbroken. All our love and support. And please, if I can do ANYTHING, just say and I'm there.
Dear Liz and family,
We are deeply sorry to hear about the loss of your father. May you feel the love of others at this time to ease your sorrow. If we can do anything, please let us know. You'll be in our thoughts and prayers.
Marlene and Steve
Post a Comment