Saturday, February 21, 2009

Our stay at Seasons at the Ritter Mansion

On Valentine's Day Wes and I headed up to Logan to stay at the Ritter Mansion. We dropped of Adelle at Grandma's house and started our romantic adventure. It took us a couple of hours to arrive, and I was a little worried about the weather in the canyon, but we made it safely. In fact we were a little bit early for our 4:00 check in. Wes hadn't had dinner yet so we decided to go to dinner. The manager at the bed and breakfast recommended that we dine at the Iron Gate Grill in Providence. We like trying new places so we decided to go for it!

It was good that we went to dinner early because I don't think we would have been able to get in anywhere without a reservation later in the evening. Wes ordered steak and crab. He remarked that he just can't turn down a chance to have crab. I ordered a seafood pasta. The Iron Gate Grill has a great little salad bar to start with and these yummy little bread rolls that come before dinner. I especially liked the potato au gratin and bacon soup. Yummy. Wes' entree was delicious! I know because I ended up eating half of his large steak. It was so juicy and flavorful. My pasta tasted good at first, but it was just so heavy with it's cream sauce and the crab filled pasta was just to thick. That is the best way I can describe it. It ended up upsetting my stomach so Wes was sweet and shared his dinner and I enjoyed going to the salad bar again. Wes wins again with the entree choice. That is twice in a row for him.


After dinner we checked into the bed and breakfast. It is an old fashioned mansion that has been around for a long time. It is reasonably priced compared to other bed and breakfasts.



Wes reserved "The Parlor" room for us. It is the actual parlor of the old mansion that has been converted into a room.

I loved the bright colors of the room.
We had our own little nook for a private breakfast in the morning. One side of the room was completely windows.
We were very disappointed to learn that our fireplace was not a "functioning" fireplace. Wes mentioned that they should advertise that the room has a fireplace if it doesn't work.


The bathroom was large, but the jetted tub, was well let's just say it was moderately sized. Oh well, I guess you can't have everything you want.

The mansion even has it's own little ballroom. When we got to the mansion the staff was busy cleaning up the room from a wedding that had taken place earlier in the day. It would be an absolutely beautiful place to have a reception. I was tempted to sneak down to the ballroom and dance with Wes.


After we had settled in we decided to explore the town. We found an antique, second hand bookstore and had a fun time looking through stacks and stacks of old books. I was very tempted to buy a very early copy (early 1900's) of the Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. It was pocket size and reading the front pages found out was used in public schools as a reader. I figured it was probably abridged so I passed on it. I don't like abridged copies of books. Wes was tempted to buy an older book of ghost stories for kids. He ended up passing on it as well. It was so much fun though just to be out by ourselves enjoying each other's company.
We headed back to our room to enjoy the rest of the evening. One bad thing about our room is that it was often cold. The room is still heated by these old radiators. They also liked to pop and hiss at night making it hard to sleep. You never sleep as well in a strange bed though. We watched "The Last of the Mohican's" because I hadn't seen it in years and Wes had never seen it. He remarked that it probably wasn't the best Valentine's Day choice. It is a pretty slow moving plot at times, can be graphic, and some of the acting is a little stiff. I will need to remember to bring something more romantic next time. We even popped over to a nearby McDonald's to get a late night "snack" because we had dinner so early.

The next morning we were served breakfast in our own room. The breakfast was remarkably good. We had french toast stuffed with vast amounts of cream cheese. It was covered in raspberry sauce. We also had sausage, and grapes.



I ate every bit of my breakfast. I even outdid Wes. I guess you just need to splurge once in a while.

We hung out in our room for a little while and then we got ready to go. I took some pictures and then we headed out the door.

We drove around for a little while so we wouldn't get back before Adelle and Grandma were out of church. Can you believe how much snow there is in Logan? We were glad to be back home again, but we loved our little get away. There really isn't anything like getting away from the busy world with your loved one. It gives us a chance to be all by ourselves again, free of any worries or responsibilities! I am so glad we have this tradition.


2 comments:

Michelle said...

what an awesome place to go how fun

Mahatma said...

What a wonderful place and an even better memory. Cherish your time together! ...julie