Thursday, August 19, 2010

Wes' Grandpa

We got the news this morning that his Grandpa Doral, passed away yesterday. He lived in Walla Walla, Washington. The last time we got to see him was back in 2006. Wes' family went back there this summer to visit, but we weren't able to make it. I know it is hard for all of us to think we could have had one more chance to visit with him.

I remember how friendly and funny he was. He was very creative. He shared stories with us that he'd written and we really enjoyed visiting with him. Wes remembers his grandpa showing him how to paint with oil paints when he was a young boy. He never knew before that anyone could make happy little trees except Bob Ross on TV. It showed him that ordinary people can paint too. His grandpa also instilled a love of geology on the Oates family. His grandpa had collected rocks, gems and petrified wood from all sorts of different places. It got everyone excited and after seeing grandpa's collection Wes' family began trips out to topaz mountain to try their hands at finding something unique and maybe even worth something.

Wes remembers a particular trip with his grandpa, dad and some brothers to a treacherously placed gold mine. There was a sheer cliff on the one side, and a sheer drop off on the other side. Wes said you could see planes flying down below. He said his grandpa would drive a little ways on the worn dirt road, stop and then say "oh dear" and then drive forward again. The only thing they managed to find was old, square head nails and railroad ties.

It is hard whenever you lose someone. We are glad that his grandpa passed away peacefully after a pleasant day spent with his wife. I know Wes is planning on making the trip to the funeral, but we'll have to see if the whole family can make it. This is Wes' first real loss of a loved one. I hope I can be there for him to buoy him up at this difficult time. He has always been there for me each and every time I have lost someone. I also hope that I can be a support for the rest of Wes' family, especially his wonderful Mom.

It is a hard time for us personaly as well. We have some issues that are going on with a past client of Wes' that is making things very difficult and stressful. I hope and pray that things go well these next couple of weeks. I am grateful for the knowledge of life after death. I know Ellen is comforted to know that her father is with his parents and other family members. That knowledge can truly carry you through some of the hardest times. It doesn't mean of course that we won't be sad and miss him.

No comments: