Friday, August 1, 2008

Backstage Drama

So do you remember how I said that the shows are going so well. Well perhaps I jinxed myself and the family because we had some major backstage drama tonight. The performance actually was going well tonight. There was a great energy and the audience really got into everything. I headed to the green room after the town social and saw Wes holding a paper towel to his face. He had a nice big gash across his nose. Long story made short, Wes was carrying a table top on stage and it attacked him. Well, not really. Wes was carrying the table top and bumped it into the wall and it flipped back and whacked him in the nose. Now if any of you know Wes you are aware how dizzy and lightheaded he gets when he gets injured or when he is around blood. I was really worried about him because his next scene was going to take place on the upper ledge of the stage. I was so scared that he was going to pass out and fall of the ledge. Yikes!! Well even though he was pale he managed to make it through his scenes.

Well right after Wes finished his scene I had my angry scene with Adam. So here I am on stage, angry at Adam when suddenly I hear a child screaming and crying. The thought runs through my mind "That sounds a lot like Adelle". The crying subsides and I finish out my scene. Adam actually gets a great reaction when he says the line "The last time I listened to my brothers I ended up getting married. Maybe I would have been better with a hired gal". The audience actually boos him because they are angry at how Adam is treating Millie. Steve who plays Adam just loved this. People are really getting into the show.

Anyway, back to the story, I get off stage and an usher approaches me. She says "Your little girl is the bathroom and needs you". I rush to the bathroom and find a crying little Adelle. She had tried to go to the bathroom and she wasn't able to get all of her underclothes off in time. The poor girl had had an accident and soaked herself. I console her, tell her I'm not angry and start trying to figure out what to do. Adelle hasn't had an accident like this in a long time. I usually remind her during intermission to use the restroom and help her, but tonight I had been trying to help Wes' cut stop bleeding and was applying an ice pack.

Suddenly I realize that I have to be on the stage in just a few minutes. I see Wes in the green room and ask him to help out Adelle. Poor Adelle! Wes totally takes over and helps her out.

I run to the dressing room and try to quickly change out of my old fashioned pajamas and ballet shoes. I get my skirt on and my white button shirt, pull my slippers off and run up the stairs in the character shoes. I quickly step into the shoes in the wings and step out to deliver my line with my shoes unbuckled. I find a moment on stage to buckle my shoes as much in character as I can and to tuck in the back of my shirt. I hadn't even gotten my apron on and just decide not to let it bother me.

Once the scene is over I head back downstairs to check on everything. Adelle 's bloomers, tights and underwear are all safely stowed in a plastic bag and she is wearing her regular skirt under her costume. Thank you Wes. She ended up just wearing her sandals for curtain call, but what where we going to do!

What a night!! Honestly everything on stage when really well, but my goodness the backstage drama. I am really glad that everyone is okay. It could have been worse. Well at least Adelle is bathed, everyone is tucked into bed, the clothes are washing and now I will try and get some rest. I just pray that everything will go well on stage and backstage tomorrow. Isn't theatre great.

1 comment:

Liz said...

This is one of those things that you can just laugh at a few months from now - you've gotta love live theater! I'm glad everything on stage went well!