Thursday, August 21, 2008

Should I Audition?

The Empress Theatre is holding auditions August 30 for Wait Until Dark. If any of you have ever seen the movie it is just wonderful. It is an older one with Audrey Hepburn (who I just adore). If you are not familiar with the story you can read about it here http://www.empresstheatre.com/dark.html . The main character, Susy, is blind and is put into a dangerous situation. It is a straight play with a very small cast. In fact there is only one female role except for a part for a little girl.

So I am debating whether or not I should audition. The first thing, it is hard to say if I would even make it. There is only ONE role that women my age can even try out for. There have been more and more people auditioning for shows at the Empress. The word has gotten out about the little theatre, which I think is wonderful, but it can really narrow the chances. I guess you never know unless you try. For auditions it looks like there are just going to be cold readings. No prepared monologues which lends you to wonder how you can adequately prepare for the audition. I wish I could find a script somewhere to just read through the actual play and get a better feel for everything.

Second point, with this show I would be away from my family (unless Lydia was able to be in the role of the little girl). Granted, Wes says that they love to come and watch me in the shows. He says that theatre for me is like putting a fish in water, which is very generous and sweet! I have only done the one show this year (7 Brides for 7 Brothers) and our whole family was involved in that one. The theatre is only about 3 minutes from our home which makes it convenient. I may take a break from theatre for awhile if my family is able to reach our goals as far as Wes' business goes. It is hard to say when we will reach that goal though. So part of me thinks "One more show before I pass on the stage for a long time". Like I said though, it is hard to say when we will reach our goals. I hope soon.

Another point, the part of Susy would be a wonderfully fun and challenging! I always love a challenge, especially an acting challenge. Can you imagine trying to play a blind woman? Wow!

Well there are a few of my thoughts on the subject. I need to make up my mind soon. I will be thinking about it and I will need to pray about it. Why am I putting this out there? Well blog readers I would like your thoughts on the subject. What do you think? Should I audition? Please post a comment and give me a few of your thoughts. I'll be looking forward to hearing from you.

4 comments:

Pavlov Stowardi said...

do it do it do it.
no hesitation.
be like nike.
the worst possible answer is no.
do it do it do it.

Liz said...

A few years ago I played the piano for a professional run of "Ragtime." Although it was a wonderful experience and only one of the few only times I have worked with professional musicians, I wouldn't do it again at this point. I am also distancing myself from being involved in high school musicals because my little Butterfly is older and has more homework, more going on. Also, my husband travels a lot.

I hated not being able to tuck my kids into bed. This is the biggest reason I now only teach piano one night a week.

But I can't answer this one for you. It would be an awesome role to play! "Wait Until Dark" is really the only scary movie I watch - I watch it about once a year with my hubby (never by myself)!

Keep me posted on your decision.

Tad Wimmer said...

Obviously, the casting decision will be up to Blake, but I think you'd make a great Suzy.

Ryan said...

You should do it. You loved the Seven Brides experience. I'm sure your family would support you and would likely visit often.
Plus you're awesome! At the very least it would be a great memory and a good story.