So I am finding it entirely too difficult to work today! Really...I wish I could just blog hop and not have to judge people's phone calls. Oh, speaking of blog hopping I stumbled across a wonderful blog by a very impressive photograpther. It is called the "Squid Bus Project". I have added a link in my blog list. Anyway..If any of you are not aware, for my day job I listen to recorded customer service calls and judge the agents. I score their calls and tell them where they need to improve or let them know how great they are doing. My official title is "auditor". I am sure the agents just hate getting their calls back each month. Anyway, I digress, I am just not in the mood. I know in a moment I will buckle down and get some hard work accomplished, but for now I will take advantage of the moment and ramble.
I also would rather be reading. I have really enjoyed listening to "Little Women" at work when I haven't been listening to a call. I find it a wonderfully, uplifting story. I love the March Sisters and enjoy listening to their progress to improve themselves as they face their own trials. It is a little funny how I listen to books when I am working. I will listen for a few minutes and then have to pause the story while I listen to a recorded call and then go back to my story for a few more minutes. I hear everything in small snippets, unless I am doing other type of work. My husband has told me that it would drive him crazy to listen to a story this way. My memory is usually able to remember just where I have left off though and it can make my 9 hour day go faster.
I also am tempted to slip down to the fitness room and read Breaking Dawn while I peddle my legs off on the exercise bike. I would consider it. We are all entitled to breaks but I have probably wasted too much time today as it is. Speaking of Breaking Dawn, I am not quite sure what to think of the "Twilight" series. I just don't think that Stephanie Meyer is an especially wonderful writer. Now before half of the female population starts throwing things at me, give me just a moment to explain. Her stories are innovative and they peak your interest. For some strange reason I have found that I just have to find out what happens to the character's in the story. I don't like how she writes sometimes though. Her main character "Bella" has often grated on my nerves. I really did like her at first, but after a while her dramatic frailness and incessant self loathing and at the same time selfishness has driven me a little batty. Sure, who doesn't like the idea of a young woman falling in love with a dashing Vampire and he in turn falling for her...but do we have to make it so...well so...lustful. It isn't even the lusting. I was once a teenage girl and I can appreciate the longing and the excitement of a first love (throwing in a vampire to make it even more exciting), but do we always have to hear how Bella's heart rushes every time he kisses her. At other times we hear about her passing out or suddenly passionately unable to keep her hands of her perfectly formed, man.
Then of course she makes things even more interesting by throwing in a Werewolf..yes that's right I said werewolf. Bella of course finds that somehow she is also in love with her ever growing furry friend. It of course makes the plot interesting when she finds that she needs to choose between her two unlikely loves.
Why do I keep reading it you ask...that is the question that I keep asking myself. It all comes to finding the story interesting and just having to know how it ends. I guess I will continue to moan out load when I read certain parts that I find so ...well frustrating as a reader. I think "Why in heavens sakes is Bella doing that?", or "This character is so unbelievable". At least I have been spared inappropriate, offensive love making scenes, probably due to the fact that the author is a BYU graduate. Thank heavens for that! Nothing ruins a book faster than graphic details of people's romantic relationships!
Even with all of the above comments I have still watched myself buy every one of the books because I was unable to get them at the Library. I have spent probably $45 dollars on all 4 books, which is nothing to shrug off on our small budget. Last night I stayed up until 12:30 because I was hoping to get to a certain point in the story before I put the book down. By the way, I haven't reached it yet. Oh...that is another thing...it seems to lake a LONG time to get somewhere in the book sometimes. So the author has still made money on my reading the book even if I feel somewhat dissatisfied with my reading experience. There is something about her books that makes you have to keep reading.
Sorry again my friends who ADORE the books. I hope I will not be an outcast now :) Remember I am only human.
Ohh...one more note. I think one reason why women adore the idea of the human-vampire relationship is the danger, seduction and also the possibility of being able to live with your love forever with eternal youth and beauty. If you really think about it though, isn't that what the church offers us, minus the danger of course. But isn't that what we are promised if we are married in the temple and keep our covenants...an eternity with the one we love in a perfect physical state?? Something to thinking about.
Well that is probably enough rambling for the day. I really should get back to work. Thanks again for letting me share my random thoughts.
1 comment:
I love what you have said about the Twilight books - leaves me feeling less sorry about NOT reading them. Hurray for eternity!
Post a Comment