Monday, April 13, 2009

Gardening Time!

I am sluffing from work today. Don't worry my boss knows. I decided to use my get out of jail free card to spend the last day of spring break home with my girls. Wes hinted several times before he went to meet with a client that it would be a great idea for the girls and I to plant seeds in the garden. Wes already worked yesterday to till the garden with manure. We decided this year to plant Spinach, Peas, Bell Peppers and Asparagus. Spinach thrives in our garden every year. The peas almost took over my tomatoes last year because Wes planted them in between the tomato plants. Silly guy! He stated that the peppers were starting to come up last year, but that they were planted too late. The asparagus is going to be planted in a wild strip next to our driveway.

On Saturday we bought a blackberry bush, a raspberry bush, and a grape vine. I am SO EXCITED about these!! Here is the problem though. I had this great place picked out in my mind, right next to the chain link fence. Wes has pointed out several problems with my location. He is determined that they will be planted in raised planter beds, which will probably cost a bit of money. Probably not too much, but still extra money. I would love to say that I have expertise to build my own planter beds, but I don't. Hopefully I will be able to convince Wes to help me soon. I did find a wonderful blog that gives step by step instructions so hopefully that will help us along.


So anyway, the girls and I ventured outside to make rows in the dirt and the plant our little seeds. Lydia complained quite a bit. I love my girl, but she complained she was hungry, and that she didn't like her hand feeling dry, and she was bored. She still was a big help though. Thanks Lydia!! Adelle helped with the seed planting and she was the photographer.








I think Lydia and I were really getting good at making our rows by the end. My legs ended up feeling like jelly by the time we were done. We didn't use any gloves because we only have one pair, and besides who needs gloves! A little dirt never hurt anyone!






In the far left row we planted peas. In the next row we planted spinach and the row to the right of that we planted a variety of bell peppers. The last row is reserved for a later planting of spinach. The spinach will go to seed after a couple of months and isn't usable anymore, so we figured it would be a good idea to plant one row later. The square in the far right of the picture is reserved for tomato plants, my favorite part of the garden. I really, really hope Costco gets tomato plants again this year. They were so hardy and did so well. I had buckets and buckets of tomatoes!




Our peach tree is looking really healthy this year. I hope we get a lot of yummy, sweet peaches this summer!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

that's so awesome you're doing a garden, what a good idea. We had a small one in Rexburg and loved having fresh stuff.