I woke up this morning to cool, clean rain. It is somewhat comforting to wake up to rain. There is something almost mystical about it. Now, granted it was interesting to fill my tire up with air at the 7-11 while it was raining. Granted I really shouldn't complain. It was common practice for me when I was younger to take walks because it was raining. I absolutely loved it. Once in college I decided to go out in an drenching, downpour. I had a rain coat on, but everything else got soaking wet. My jeans, shoes, everything. It did take a while to warm up after that one which was interesting because I had a show to do at the Off Broadway Theatre later in the evening. I distinctly remember laughing to the sky that occasion though while the rain dripped on my nose.
Another thing I loved about the rain when I was a kid were the bugs that would venture out. When I walked into work this morning the sidewalk was alive with worms. I carefully watched my step, avoiding the worms, not because I wouldn't like the squish of them under my feet, but because I like bugs. When I was a kid I would make worm hotels. It was sad when they would occasionally drown in the hotel pool. I hated to see them die.
I LOVED the snails that would venture out on the rainy days. They were one of my favorites. One rainy day in 5th grade I decided to bring some snails along with me to school. I placed them in my desk while I went about my day doing schoolwork. At one point I had to go out to the hall to take a test I had missed. Suddenly there was screaming from the classroom. My teacher advised me to get back into class. Girls were standing on their chairs. I looked at my desk and sure enough, my new little snail friends were climbing down the legs of my desk. My teacher quickly and gruffly advised me to take them outside. He informed me that snails were for eating and not for keeping as pets. I was greatly offended at the idea that my little friends would be eaten, but I wasn't one to break the rules. I quickly scurried outside and deposited the snails on the wet grass hoping that they wouldn't be trampled at the next recess.
Isn't it funny that even when we grow up we can still like bugs and walking in the rain. Maybe growing up in some ways is a myth. Sure we get responsibilities and jobs and we learn to do "grown up" things, but really there are parts of us that really never change.
No comments:
Post a Comment