Thursday, April 16, 2009

I am Grateful.

I was listening to National Public Radio (NPR) on the way into work this morning and heard a sad and disheartening story about the drug addiction and misery in Afghanistan. The story focused on an Afghan woman named Karima, an opium addict, who shares her home with her addicted parents. She has six children that live with her that suffer the ill effects of being bathed by opium and heroin smoke since birth. The children don't attend school. The oldest daughter (12), a girl who is small for her age and is losing her hair, is sent to buy drugs for her mother. The mother actually tried to sell her 5 year old daughter in the market last month because she was desperate for the cash, but she was unable to find a buyer. The oldest daughter has also started to take "drags" of her mother's opium. NPR goes on to discuss why there is such a drug problem in Afghanistan.

If you want to read the story in it's entirety and view pictures you can click here http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102984398.

Why do I share such a sad story? It made me think how fortunate we are to live in a country that is free from the ravaging effects of war. It made me appreciate what I have and has prompted me to make a list of what I am grateful for.

I am Grateful for..
I am grateful that I live in a country that is free from war and terror.
I am grateful that I live in a warm, sheltered home.
I am grateful to be married to a wonderful man.
I am grateful for two beautiful children that are healthy and generally happy.
I am grateful that I am able to feed my children.
I am grateful that they can attend school have opportunities to become whatever they want to be.
I am grateful that I have a job that supports my family.
I am grateful we have cars to take us where we need each day.
I am grateful that I am generally healthy and free of disease.
I am grateful that I am surrounded by people who love and respect me.
I am grateful for a loving Heavenly Father.
I am grateful for Jesus Christ and his Atonement.
I am grateful for the Church of Jesus Christ of Later Day Saints.
I am grateful for the Temple and the covenants I have made.
I am grateful for loving Parents, natural and "adopted".
I am grateful that I grew up in a loving, caring environment.
I am grateful for the technology which connects us and helps us understand our environment.
I am grateful for my trials because they have made me what I am today.
I am grateful that I am alive to experience life to its fullest, to learn, to make mistakes, and to try to become better each day.

3 comments:

S.R. Braddy said...

Reminds me of your dad's song, "I'm Grateful For." Don't remember if that's actually what it's called, but it's still a great song.

Unknown said...

Isn't it funny where we pick things up from :) You're right. The name of his song is "I'm Grateful For". I guess like Father like Daughter.

Bonnie said...

Great post! I loved reading your gratitudes. It helps me to focus on how little my problems really are, especially reading about that NPR article